Hay baler

/ Hay baler #1  

thunder86

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct4045
this is just a hobby so I’m not looking to spend a bunch of money. I’ve got a 45hp bobcat ct4045 tractor. Is it big enough to pull a hay baler and how much $ would I need to spend? Just looking how to make the small square bales
Thank you

/ Hay baler #2  
Depends on the terrain you are working on. 55 years ago used John Deere 420 & 520 on small square baler doing several thousand bales a year. 420 was sketchy on hills since baler was borderline on pushing it around. 520 this was not problem even pulling wagon behind the baler.

No clue on baler costs these days.

/ Hay baler #3  
Yes - did the same as you oldnslo with a JD 420 and JD 14 baler - was fine. We upgraded to a JD 1020 and JD thrower baler and wagons in the late 60's

But to the OP question, yes a 45HP tractor can run a small baler - just get one that has good knotters and not rusted (test it first). About $2-4K John Deere 14T Small Square Baler - $2,900 | Machinery Pete

/ Hay baler #4  
You also need a mower of some sort, also low power requirement. I've run a NH479 9' haybine with 22 hp, not even live power. Then a rake to gather the cut hay ready for baling. Hard to wreck a small baler. Wet hay is the only one I can think of, other than trying to bale a bale already made.

Then the tough part: picking up the bales. You might reconsider the round bale option. My customers now have sheep instead of horses. Round bales work out really well for them in the right kind of feeder.