hay equipment

/ hay equipment #1  

mikeyd10

I am new and looking to purchase some hay equipment,.....square baler for sure possibly a round baler and a disc mower conditioner. Any ideas on who makes good stuff. I have heard new holland is the way to go on hay tools, but thought i would ask. thanks

/ hay equipment #2  
NH & JD both make good square balers. I currently run a JD because they were more competitive when I bought it...plus it matches my green tractors. When I use a round baler it's a Vermeer. Mower is NH but if I replaced it I'd go with a Kuhn. Tedder is Vermeer, rotary rake is a Kuhn (I also have a NH side delivery). I also pull a Hoelscher accumulator and stack with a Hoelscher grapple that I bought last year when I got tired of messing with my old NH stacker wagon.

What's usually best is what everyone around you is using. They've already figured out what works best for your local conditions/crops and which dealers can actually service what they sell.

/ hay equipment #3  
Back when I did not even have a drivers license mid to later 80's, I logged many miles in front of a new holland 283 baleliner. It was not uncommon to bale 1200-1400 bales a day with that baler. A pull type new holland stackliner cant member the model, picked up and stacked every bale with the same reliability. A 907 new holland swather layed down all the hay then too. Another ranch close by has a newer new holland round baler. Same story, bale after bale after bale. New Holland is king of hay/forage equipment, big or not so big scale. Deere has got a small following around here mostly balers and a few swathers, most of which of because there was a deere dealer hear YEARS before new holland dealer arrived. There would be more new holland hay equipment dominance around here but part of the problem in my view is the new holland dealer manager here is kind of a.......well I will just say he helps the deere dealer sell more equipment than he thinks. Some even refer to him as a closet deere sales person managing a NH store.:D Some even worse.:D Dont do hay any more but new holland would be probably the top of my list of hay equipment givin' it had a good dealer.

/ hay equipment #4  
There are many good choices. I run a NH small square baler 315, NH 489 Haybine, Kuhn Rotary rake/tedder combo, JD 850 bar rake.

I am fortunte to have 4 NH dealers within 18 to 25 miles in all directions. One also sells Kuhn equipment. That means I have alot of NH new and used to choose from without driving half way across the state.
As far as parts I have never had a problem with NH.

If you reserch Used Tractors at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Caterpillar.you will see that NH out numbers all other brands. Deere is probally 2nd.

I wouldn't leave out Agco Hesston or Massey Ferguson Hesston Series either.
They use a centerline small square baler that many people prefer. I have visited their facility in Hesston Kansas and they are some realy nice people building some great products. Next time I may try one.

Good Luck and keep us updated on what you choose!::D

/ hay equipment #5  
I started hay baling with a free Heston Cutter/conditioner that a guy gave to me if I could cut it out of the brush that had totally engulfed it. Lots of restoration but found that if you learn how to fix those things -It will save you tons of money in the long haul. (welding, grinding, hydraulics, etc) -The Square bailer I have is an old John Deer. It was in better condition but same thing with maintenence. - Parts and labor can kill you if you have to have it done. - Of course, If you can swing the costs of new stuff - Go for it. - There are some good books at Tractor Supply on getting a hay operation up and going on a shoestring budget - Great Info. - I do square bales because we have horses and most horse people in our area want Square bales.
Hope some of this helps

/ hay equipment #6  
I am new and looking to purchase some hay equipment,.....square baler for sure possibly a round baler and a disc mower conditioner. Any ideas on who makes good stuff. I have heard new holland is the way to go on hay tools, but thought i would ask. thanks

JD and NH make OK balers, if you want a good one get a MF. ;)

/ hay equipment #7  
How much hay are you looking to do? Are you looking at new or used pieces? I can say that the Hesston, MF balers work very well, I put better than 100k bales through the last one I had. Nothing but chain adjustments. Just traded up for a larger model.
Can you fix stuff yourself or is dealer support an issue? That may bet how the better brand is decided for you.

/ hay equipment #8  
If you have the money for new, great go of it. A word of caution though on stuff that is just a few years old. Small squares have gotten very very popular with the horse people. Some very large producers can actually ware out a new square baler inside of 5 years. I mean shot to the point of junk it! Depending on what is around your area, there can be bargins found in older JD and NH that have been sitting in barns for 10-20 years not being worn out.

JD and NH both make fine balers, dealerships and parts play a bigger role for your individual needs than the make does. Condition and care the machine received are more important than the color. How many acres are you doing?

If you can afford it, a discbine is the best way to go, also if you have the HP to turn it. Minimums are 75 for 9 footers, but you are better of with 100-120. Star tedders or rotary tedders are best for that job. Kuhn makes the most common one which is also sold as NH and JD. Peque designed one a few years ago which is a great piece and cheaper pricer than Kuhn since it is made in PA. Rossi and Tanuti make a cheap tedder, fine for just a few acres.

Hay rakes, the only way to go is a rotary rake. Use one just once and you will never go back to a roll bar.

The current MF is the agco baler first sold under Heston and CaseIH. Not bad machines, but agco parts it seems are more expensive then JD and NH, and if the dealer does not have it in stock usually 7-14 days to get it.