Haying - Alfalfa mix, wheat, or neither -- Decisions...

/ Haying - Alfalfa mix, wheat, or neither -- Decisions... #1  

Thowle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4066R Cab w/ H180 and 4-in-1 Bucket
Hey guys, I've got an idea but not sure how to properly proceed.

On my personal land, I have about 5 acres of free flat area I could grow an alfalfa mixture to bale into square bales. I've also got a many (50+) acres of family land joining the back of my property that a local farmer leases to grow soybeans or corn.

I'm trying to determine if I should get into the haying business. As a hobby and way of making a bit of extra money, and building up a path in agriculture for the future.

From what I've read, it seems I have a few options..

1) Leave his crop area alone and grow an alfalfa mixture on my non-crop land to bale into square bales and sell
2) Work a deal with the farmer so that I grow wheat in winter after his crop is harvested and bale as wheat hay
3) Same as #2 except harvest wheat to sell grain, then bale straw
4) Perform a combination of #1 and #2/3
5) Ditch the idea and wait until later to do just pure row-cropping

I figured from a somewhat economical standpoint if I stuck to square bales of straw and alfalfa I could just get that baler... But, I'm 100% blind and new to haying in general.

Thanks in advance!

/ Haying - Alfalfa mix, wheat, or neither -- Decisions... #2  
It depends how much you want to invest in your hobby and how much free cash you have. The amount of available spare time you'll have to invest must be considered as well. Mother Nature loves playing tricks on hay farmers. Smaller scale hay farming isn't going to net much of a return and that's if you already have the equipment. It's going to cost you some coin to get up and going. How much depends on many factors, new or used, age of equipment, type of equipment and a few I'm probably not mentioning. We farm our land to keep the taxes down and paid. Our current crop is small square baled hay. Depending on the year we do have some money left over, but it usually goes back to the farm.

/ Haying - Alfalfa mix, wheat, or neither -- Decisions... #3  
Equipment wise, you have the tractor. Your going to need implements for field prep, seeding, fertilizing etc. and once you've grown your crop, you'll need a mower, rake and baler. We use a tedder as well, some don't. Are you thinking small square or large square baler?

/ Haying - Alfalfa mix, wheat, or neither -- Decisions...
I've got a smaller compact tractor -- was thinking of getting a 5115M or going to a 6R tractor so I'm setup to do anything.

I was thinking if I kept the compact tractor to do small square bales since it would be capable (I believe).

/ Haying - Alfalfa mix, wheat, or neither -- Decisions... #5  
It's all in what you want to do, I find haying small scale to be enjoyable

/ Haying - Alfalfa mix, wheat, or neither -- Decisions...
Hmm, decisions-decisions! If what I'm reading is right, the price for wrapped round bales of wheat haylage seems to bring a fair amount more than mixed grass -- so it seems that utilizing the full acreage behind my house might render a better revenue stream. What are your overall thoughts?

/ Haying - Alfalfa mix, wheat, or neither -- Decisions... #7  
We make only fifty acres of hay and it's been well worth it. It's a lot better then growing row crops on small acreage I think. And if you do decide to do it buy good newer equipment. Nothing worse than rain blowing in and a broken baler