HD Shop Vacs, Anyone know much about them?

/ HD Shop Vacs, Anyone know much about them? #31  
Keep in mind, EVERYTHING goes throughs the fan on a Kirby, (it's not a bypass system) and the vac is a sealed unit. I've probably replaced 50 of those fans...

SR

Yup, them fans are cheap and EZ to replace, 4 or 5 screws as I recall. Take a good beatin before they throw a blade and become a happy shaker for a lady too.
DAT exactly why my Kirby hooked to the OUT end of a Thein seperator dat drops most de heavy crap before it get to de fan.

I guess most never looked in a book or on de internet to learn cause it so much easier to cry an get somebody else do de job of work.
See a lot of such folks, wall full of tools, roller box wid more tools, an dey can't build nuthin, gotta buy off de AmaZoom. Oughta be forced to eat the dang box AmaZoom sends dem crap in.

/ HD Shop Vacs, Anyone know much about them? #32  
Yup, them fans are cheap and EZ to replace, 4 or 5 screws as I recall. Take a good beatin before they throw a blade and become a happy shaker for a lady too.
DAT exactly why my Kirby hooked to the OUT end of a Thein seperator dat drops most de heavy crap before it get to de fan.

I guess most never looked in a book or on de internet to learn cause it so much easier to cry an get somebody else do de job of work.
See a lot of such folks, wall full of tools, roller box wid more tools, an dey can't build nuthin, gotta buy off de AmaZoom. Oughta be forced to eat the dang box AmaZoom sends dem crap in.
Take a beating? All it takes and most time took, is a penny! Yup, any money the power nozzle went over would get lifted, and many times it would stay on a lip in the nozzle, UNTIL later when it went into the fan and took it out! It was REALLY bad, back when the fans were made of metal!

The motors were supposed to be resealed, do you do that? Ones I repaired that weren't, came in with excess motor wear and then bigger problems, that is if they were used much. Many women wouldn't even use them, because they were too heavy!!

Matter of fact, I could tell you a good story about how we couldn't even give them away!! lol We junked a lot of them!

Kirby's have lots of air flow, but not much suction... We proved that in the shop more than a few times!!

SR

Last edited:
   / HD Shop Vacs, Anyone know much about them? #33  
Just get a bag to go in any shop vac,
I have a small 5 gallon one that I keep in the house for cold ashes and sheet rock or saw dust, any thing we don't want in the central vac.
Shop Vac Multi Fit 5, 6, and 8 Gallon Replacement Paper Bags, 3 pack - The Vacuum Factory
The bag goes in with the hose connector and wraps around the filter in the vacuum,
the filter stays clean and when the bag is full you throw it away.
I keep a HEPA filter on mine so the discharge air has very little dust.

/ HD Shop Vacs, Anyone know much about them?
Well I'm learning a lot about cyclones! But no one can tell me if they will seperate styrofoam bits. And is a bigger one better than a small one?

Seems STATIC is a big issue with cyclones yet most are made of plastic and you apply grounded foil strips. Why not make them out of metal for five bucks more?

Funny. I spoke with the people that make the "DUST DEPUTY" cyclone. They had your typical sheity IP line that would garble as soon as he tried to convey the most important information. "Can you hear me now" always comes through perfect.

Asked him who the Canadian source was for this products. I live in the boonies, and he said Welbeck Sawmill. Friends of mine, ten minutes away! Small world!

/ HD Shop Vacs, Anyone know much about them? #36  
Bigger, more expensive shop vacs. Anyone know about them? Not talking about anything you would get in your Big BOX store.

What is a three stage Milwaukee vac?

On a 45 Gallon shop vac, can one put a garbage bag in there?

I have a BIG mess of raccoon poop and destroyed white styrofoam in my barn. Want to put the vac outside (for air quality issues) and use a long hose.

I am worried the styrofoam will simply block the vac inlet and not settle into the canister.

Used central vacs are cheaply available. Would they be better for this? Do any have bags. Big bags?

Thanks for any information.

Simple answer, they all suck until they don't anymore sand then you landfill them and buy another.............

/ HD Shop Vacs, Anyone know much about them?
There are some more sophisticated ones, like a Rental outfit would have. Auction last Friday had two, one with 45 gallon Drum. Sold for around $300.00 CDN each.

Thanks ROB. I appreciated that information. So quick and painless too, without some booming intro music. lol I thought it would be about smooth vs ribbed hose. Makes me rethink using an old central vac hose I have lying around.