Head lamps quit working

/ Head lamps quit working #1  

Momboy007

Silver Member
Tractor
Jinma 304
Hello All,
I was hoping to get some advice from all you pro's out there.
My headlights stopped working on my Jinma 304 this last Weekend, can anyone offer some advice? I did check the fuse and it is O.K.
The other question is my right side (Passenger, I guess) tail lamp is always on, is this normal?

Thanks all in advance for any advice
Rickl

/ Head lamps quit working #2  
Two separate problems, headlights first. Most common headlight issue I've encountered is a bad ground. Bulbs are grounded to socket which is grounded to lamp frame which is grounded typically to the cowl bracket. It's usually the wire between the last two.

Taillights. Need more info - is it lower intensity like in running light? or higher intensity as in brake light ? Did you verify properation of the other side?

//greg//

/ Head lamps quit working
Hello Greg,
Thanks for the quick response, the headlight wiring is in a big bundle, do you know where I should start?
The right hand side taillight appears to be like a brake light, but is constantly on. I will have to check to see if the left side is workking or not, I really do not use it at night, but would like to keep everything in working order.
Thanks again,
Rick

/ Head lamps quit working #4  
Momboy007 said:
Hello Greg,
Thanks for the quick response, the headlight wiring is in a big bundle, do you know where I should start?
The right hand side taillight appears to be like a brake light, but is constantly on. I will have to check to see if the left side is workking or not, I really do not use it at night, but would like to keep everything in working order.
Thanks again,
Rick
I've never specifically worked on a JM340, but the 200 series - and my two KAMAs - don't loom the headlight ground wires. They should be short black sections of wire going from the back of the headlight surround to somewhere on the headlight bracket. In the unlikely event your surrounds are contact ground though, there'll be no ground wire. In the case of a bad contact ground, two layers of paint are usually the culprit.

Tail lights. Again, no 304-specific experience. But the four tractors above only have two bulbs in each tail light; turn signal under yellow lens, tail/brake under the red. Each turn signal should have one wire and a single filament bult. The tail/brake light should have two wires and a double filament bult. Unless you've got plastic fenders, both housings should be grounded with a short piece of wire to one of their machine screws. The brake light wires to into the loom, and end up at the brake light switch under the pedals. The tail light wires end up behind the light switch.

If this is not the way you see it, let me know before I head too far down the wrong road.

//greg//

/ Head lamps quit working #5  
tHIS WORKS ON ANY TRACTOR.. "FOLLOW THE VOLTS"

Get a test lamp or VOM.. start checking a tthe battery, then lamp switch.. then wires.. then bulbs...

Use a jumper wire to test if you have good ground.

Any chance of a bad bulb?

Soundguy

/ Head lamps quit working #6  
Maybe this diagram will help explain what I was trying to describe above.

//greg//

Attachments

• 300 series wiring.jpg
    300 series wiring.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 165
   / Head lamps quit working #7  
Momboy007 said:
Hello Greg,
Thanks again,
Rick

If the right side brake light is not working - burned out - try this long shot. There is a switch on the brake pedal that makes the lights come on when you push the brake petal. I actually slightly twisted my step on a stump once - putting just enough torque on the switch to keep the brake lights on all the time.
Cheers
John