Head lights died

/ Head lights died #1  

ByronBob

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 BX2230
I was using my BX2230 tonight with no troubles. I started it up and turned my head lights on to darkness.

When I turn the headlight switch on the dash lights and rear lights work. I looked under the tractor cover at the fuse block and the fuses aren't blown as far as I can tell. I even switched fuses to see.

In the manual it says something about protected fuses for the head lights. This seems different than the fuse block where the battery is located.

Anyone know more about this than I do? I'm all eyes and ears to suggestions.

Thanks

/ Head lights died #2  
The switches are very easily damged by water all of mine are usless you can pull the switch and take it apart and clean the contacts and it will work for a while.

/ Head lights died
Jimbrown said:
The switches are very easily damged by water all of mine are usless you can pull the switch and take it apart and clean the contacts and it will work for a while.

Thanks Jim,

Does this mean the headlight switch wouldn't work even when the dash and rear lights do? There must be multiple leads coming out of the switch then.

/ Head lights died
I took the old bulbs out which were 50W bulbs and put the OEM 27W bulbs back in. They work.

I've had these 50W bulbs in the tractor for 3 yrs. What are the odds both blew at the same time as a coincidence?

/ Head lights died #5  
Hey Byron Bob, I just ran into the same problem, turned on the headlights and nothing. So if I understand you correctly, you replaced "both" front headlights at the same time and they both worked? Mine are old anyway so I am going to replace them, but if your's burned out at the same time and mine turn out to be the same way there is more here than meets the eye!

Thanks - Hoss

/ Head lights died #6  
ByronBob said:
I took the old bulbs out which were 50W bulbs and put the OEM 27W bulbs back in. They work.

I've had these 50W bulbs in the tractor for 3 yrs. What are the odds both blew at the same time as a coincidence?

Doublecheck the lmaps with a battery and jumper wires.. if they work.. then your lamp circuit has some extra resistance in it.. perhaps corrosion at the switch.. etc..

Maybee even the act of removing them cleaned some corrosion off at the connectors??

soundguy

/ Head lights died #7  
Jimbrown said:

I'm relieved to hear someone else has had the same problem. My headlight switch works intermittantly. It's very annoying, because of course you don't find out the switch is bad until you NEED your headlights to function. Why the heck aren't the switches weather-resistant anyway? It's a tractor for heaven's sake! And we all know tractors NEVER get wet or dirty. Sheesh... how much extra could it possibly cost?

/ Head lights died
hoss said:
Hey Byron Bob, I just ran into the same problem, turned on the headlights and nothing. So if I understand you correctly, you replaced "both" front headlights at the same time and they both worked? Mine are old anyway so I am going to replace them, but if your's burned out at the same time and mine turn out to be the same way there is more here than meets the eye!

Thanks - Hoss

I have not had a problem since I replaced the bulbs with the OEM's. The problem is the watts are low and snowblowing in the winter is real common for me.

Problem is I can't find anything higher than 27 watt bulbs. The 50w I had are no longer sold at Autozone. I don't seem to have any options above 27 watt.

The dyno in the 2230 won't allow many add on lights before it overloads also. Seems the quandry I have is what to do now?