Hearing protection - 3m Alpha 1100 Worktunes

/ Hearing protection - 3m Alpha 1100 Worktunes #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Lot's of threads on hearing protection.
As I've posted previously:
Since the '80's I've been using a pair of Thunder 29's or equivalent with a good pair of earbuds jammed in the between the "cuff" that covers my ear and the insulation in the muff. Sometimes I would be using a tiny radio/mp3 player strapped to the Thunder's so cords didn't extend, lately I've a pair of Sony BT headphones I can strap to the Thunders. I've used things from cassette player to CD players hung on my hip and run the earphone line up under my shirt. I've used several phones with BT paired to BT headphones.

Lately my favorite combo is my Samsung Note 8 in my cargo pants pocket running BT to my headphones. Full fledged powerful computer in my pocket with all my tools, camera, recorder, note taking with handwriting recognition, E-reader, all my repair PDF's, network access, plus music player. Something I only dreamt of in the '80's.

At this time I've 3 or 4 pair of the Thunder earmuffs, some 20 years old. The plastic seems to harden and crack after about 15 to 20 years. I try to keep a pair near my MAJOR sound sources - One on the FEL lever, one at the sawmill, one with the chainsaws. This system has allowed me to have "flexible" sound sources, good earbuds and plenty of backup options.

And when I don't need the hearing protection I can just set the muffs aside.
I'm still happy with my combo set up, but it's not an ideal solution for a "loaner". And I insist that when my offspring help me (currently 3 son's, 1 daughter, 2 grandsons, 1 grandaughter, more to come :) ) use loud power equipment they wear PPE. So I've been loaning them one of my many pair of ear muffs.

However TODAY Amazon has the 3M ALPHA1100 WorkTunes Wireless Hearing Protector with Bluetooth Technology and AM/FM on sale for $55 so I bought a pair.

That's the lowest price I've seen on camelcamelcamel.
I'll try to post a review after some use.

/ Hearing protection - 3m Alpha 1100 Worktunes #2  
Lot's of threads on hearing protection.
As I've posted previously:

I'm still happy with my combo set up, but it's not an ideal solution for a "loaner". And I insist that when my offspring help me (currently 3 son's, 1 daughter, 2 grandsons, 1 grandaughter, more to come :) ) use loud power equipment they wear PPE. So I've been loaning them one of my many pair of ear muffs.

However TODAY Amazon has the 3M ALPHA1100 WorkTunes Wireless Hearing Protector with Bluetooth Technology and AM/FM on sale for $55 so I bought a pair.

That's the lowest price I've seen on camelcamelcamel.
I'll try to post a review after some use.

I've been using 3m worktunes (batteries are the weak link) for a few years now. I'm on my 4th due to unexplained accidents, but I think they are great. The noise reduction does work with chainsaws, weed eaters, tractors, skidsteers, etc. Hand held stuff and open rops is usually not a problem for reception. It needs an external antenna for enclosed cabs and that's not an option. For those times, I plug into the cab stereo to solve the dilemma of no music.

/ Hearing protection - 3m Alpha 1100 Worktunes #3  
I've had the basic work tunes with fm radio for a couple of years. Mine have been great on battery use. I think I'm only on the 3rd set.

TS had a 30 pack of generic alkaline batteries at the checkout for 5 bucks yesterday.

/ Hearing protection - 3m Alpha 1100 Worktunes #4  
Thanks Newberry.

I've been trying to figure out what the new model equal to the Thunder is, seems they retired that model.

Look forward to the review.

/ Hearing protection - 3m Alpha 1100 Worktunes #5  
This got me searching the WorkTunes variety and found the 90543-4DC WorkTunes. This one has no radio or antenna but comes with a built in rechargeable battery, blue tooth, and micphone so you access music on your phone and can make and send calls.