Help! Cub 2180 electrical issues

/ Help! Cub 2180 electrical issues #1  

jlgibson

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2180
This last weekend I made a bonehead move and hooked up jumper cables to my cub backwards. I put a new battery in, replaced a fuse that blew, and had the cillinoid tested. The cillinoid tested ok. When I turn the key in blows the fuse before I start cranking it over. I'm guessing I probably need to replace the wiring harness since it's all connected and probably impossible to know if any of those wires are ruined, but don't know what else to check. I'm trying to avoid the crazy labor fees if I take it in to get looked at.

Any thoughts? Yes, I know that I shouldn't have hooked the jumper cables backwards! It was 100+ degrees and extremely humid, and I did this after replacing a front tire that I had to take off of another old rim which come to find out had a tube in it and leaked after I put it in. It was a wonderful day.

/ Help! Cub 2180 electrical issues #2  
The fuse should have protected all.
Start by eliminating circuits to find which one is at fault.
Unplug plug to PTO switch ...then brake switch , all in start circuit.
Just a thought...
Pete

/ Help! Cub 2180 electrical issues
Thanks Pete, I'll give it a try tonight!

/ Help! Cub 2180 electrical issues #4  
If I read your post correctly the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key to the run position. The only thing that gets power in that position is the alternator, hourmeter, voltage sensor and the pto clutch(the pto switch connects the ground). Disconnect the plug on the engine that goes to the alternator and the plug on the pto. Then try it. If it doesn't blow reconnect the plugs one at a time to see which one is the problem. I'm betting on the alternator.

/ Help! Cub 2180 electrical issues #5  
well friend, it sounds to me like you have a key switch problem. why dont you try another swith. If you cant find the correct switch just put in any old switch, like geez i dont know.....try one from like a jd 318. if know a dude that assures me that they are all the same:confused2:. But, if you see smoke and smell wires burning then you know you probley listened to the wrong guy. And if that is the case than you should stick to working on tractors that are actually worth fixing, like john deere tractors. If all else fails, go to your nearest jd dealer and get a big tractor with a back hoe attachment, find yourself a nice big area, then dig a hole and bury that pos cub cadet.
Well those are just a few staring points that you can try. Let us all know how you make out.

/ Help! Cub 2180 electrical issues #6  
Other than possibly trying a new key switch & the proper switch for your tractor (very important) I would dismiss the other useless comments made by the last poster.

/ Help! Cub 2180 electrical issues
It was the Lead Diode that connected to the starter.