help, is it worth buying?

/ help, is it worth buying? #1  

cwingwvwc

I am asking this question for my dad. We are thinking about buying a four-wheel drive tractor for our camp in Ohio, it will be used for pulling boats out of the docks, putting gravel down on the roads, some small excavating work, and many other jobs. We found a 1985 Zetor 4 wheel drive model 5425(I belive) with an Allison loader on the front for $11,000. It has 1600 hours on it. But some of the petals and levers are a little froze up, and the bucket raises very slowly even when empty (is there something wrong with the hydraulics?). My dad seems to thinkn that it may not be the best deal, but he does not know much about tractors and wanted to get some advice from people that know about them. Some of the guys who tried it out and pulled a few boats with it said its a little awkward and it slips out of reversse a little. Thanks for any help you can give. Also, does anyone know where I can get owners manuals for it?

/ help, is it worth buying? #2  
A tractor that slips out of Reverse "a Little" sounds like a HUGE ACCIDENT waiting to happen. Suppose the runaway tractor would do some damage to a nice shiney fiberglass hull?????

If the hydraulic oil is at normal range, and you are a little above idle, the empty bucket should go up easily.

If it were me, I'd walk......

Ron

/ help, is it worth buying? #3  
Welcome to the forum.

I'm with Ron, I'd pass on that tractor and try to find something in better shape.

I think a tractor would accomplish everything you want to do. I just picked up a receiver hitch (Bad River) for my B2410 and use it to move my boat and utility trailer. I hauled the Vermeer wood chipper up the hill. It's great. Much easier than the SUV or my Polaris Ranger.

Good luck on your search. If you start considering other tractors search the past threads here at this site. Just about every issue has been covered. There is a wealth of information.

/ help, is it worth buying? #4  
You might check with dealers in the area and find a good tractor mechanic to inspect it for you, but my initial thoughts agree with the other guys; I'd pass on that one.

/ help, is it worth buying?
Thanks guys, that's kinda what I figured. Just wanted some more informed opinions. We haven't bought it yet, someone we know bought it and offered to sell it to us for the same price. If we don't buy it he's gonna take it to his farm.

/ help, is it worth buying? #6  
Uh.. 'slips out of reverse' and pulling boats out sounds bad.

11k for a tractor from 85? and it has problems?. I think you can find a new #1 or #2 brand 25-30 hp tractor in that range.. or at least a newer one.. or a 20-25 hp tractor with loader.. etc.

Soundguy

/ help, is it worth buying? #7  
Run, don't walk. Sounds like a nightmare. 11K is a bit high for that tractor anyhow, even retail.. 80s 60hp grey tractors go for about half that at auction

/ help, is it worth buying? #8  
Yep, with the others. It's way too high and has problems you don't want nor need. John