HELP! Landpride FDR 2584 Spindle removal

/ HELP! Landpride FDR 2584 Spindle removal #1  

Omnipotent

Bronze Member
So as the topic states, this is the plan. Mower was bought used, about 10 years old and spindle is shot....so, have new spindle in hand and am removing old one....that is until I got to the blade. Backed out the bolt holding the blade to the spindle, but the blade itself screws to the spindle as well...this is the problem. I've been at it for 2 hours...used a torch to heat it....no luck...the real issue is how to stop the spindle itself from spinning so that I can pull the blade to break it loose. I've tried vice grips around the spindle (it has one flat side) lodged into a breaker bar jammed into the corner of the unit, but the vise grips always slip.

I'm generally not challenged when it comes to nuts/bolts and things that move, but this is pissing me off so I've stepped away for a few in fear I might just get angry and torch the whole thing.

So, any thoughts on how to hold the spindle locked so that the blade can be removed? And another thought...is the blade itself clock wise, or CCW to remove...I assume CCW looking at the threads on the new spindle, but want to make sure.

Thanks

/ HELP! Landpride FDR 2584 Spindle removal
Thanks for the assembly manual. Once I saw the exploded view all made sense and blades are off.

One other question, since I'm replacing the entire spindle how do I unthread the blade hub from the spindle. I have the unit out and the spindle in a vice but it keeps slipping. I dont want to buy another blade hub so any insight I appreciate it. I have heated, big hammered it but nothing.

Thanks

/ HELP! Landpride FDR 2584 Spindle removal #4  
If spindel is out, grind a flat spot on each side of spindel since your not reuseing it, clamp in vise, pipe wrench on blade hub, RH threads.