Help me price check a DB 995 tractor loader snowblower.

/ Help me price check a DB 995 tractor loader snowblower.
A picture of the right side showed the loader mount a little better. I know little about tractors, other than internet research. Does this look like an appropriate mount?
D5616AF1-936F-4122-8F85-DD78BB1D8104.jpeg

37BA21DF-1730-47B7-9A6F-8BD58C15EDCA.jpeg

/ Help me price check a DB 995 tractor loader snowblower. #12  
I worked on these in the early 70's and yes, those are the mounting brackets for the loader. The front frame is part of bell housing frame too. You can see the bolts where the loader mounts are in these pics. TractorData.com David Brown 995 tractor photos information

They have their quirks, but if don't mind turning a wrench, a decent buy given the blower is worth half the tractor cost.

The seller sent me some detailed photos of the loader mount. 4 bolts on the back and two in the front on either side. It’s got a sorta quick detach mechanism for the loader. The crappy looking weld looks like either a repair or something jimmy rigged.

He also fully raised the 3 point with a 1000lb snowblower and it took about 12 hrs for it to settle to the ground. That seems ok to me.

Attachments

• 46CA6EDA-9F80-4118-ABAE-C88385A05254.jpeg
    46CA6EDA-9F80-4118-ABAE-C88385A05254.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
Here’s a couple more videos the seller sent me.

Anything stand out to you guys? The loader seems a bit slow to me, but it might not have been revved up.

Can anyone explain the PTO engagement sequence? This is a later model 995 which has a hand clutch for the PTO (I believe). Would it be: disengage clutch > engage PTO > engage clutch?

Would that be a SSQA bucket?

Last edited:
   / Help me price check a DB 995 tractor loader snowblower. #15  
Nothing really stands out to me other than he seems comfortable working the tractor. That PTO sequence is about the same as our old JD. Actually it works a bit better than I thought. It doesn't smoke so bad when running as it did cold....I like that. But it does puff a bit of blue when stalled into the snow bank. That could ..probably is...just an older engine.. I don't hear anything weird.

Sure does remind me of tractors from that era, though. Requires a lot of operator input. After a day's work you sure knew you had been working. Completely different from today's fingertip tractors. I'm spoiled. Of course the old JD with its loader cost $4500 and the new modern one cost twelve times that much.

When I see the 995 owner sequence the PTO it reminds me of the JD at the end of a road, or furrow, or loader trip... Remember, the JD has a hand transmission clutch.

So when it is time to go back the other way, disengage transmission clutch, throttle down, disengage PTO clutch, but leave PTO lever engaged, raise 3pt, re-engage transmission - oops shift gears first, turn it all around, now disengage transmission clutch, check that PTO lever is engaged, engage PTO clutch, throttle up for power, lower 3pt, select lower forward gear, engage transmission clutch... and off we go! Each one of those movements requires adult strength, and sometimes a bit of body lean as well.

Yes, the loader is slow. I would just accept it.
After all, that only came with a small 7 gpm hydro pump and that is probably prioritized for the power steering. Even if that is a standard 60/40 priority valve, then you are left with not much flow for the loader.
Accept that the loader is an afterthought.
It has enough power to help you lift beams and pallets to build a house....which is all that matters. It's will skim a dirt road to flatten ruts, and carry trees or rocks....but no way is it going to be a digger.

On the other hand, that tractor does have a simple old hydraulic cylinder type power steering which seems to work fine although most of that kind do leak. But it works to steer smoothly at idle and stopped with a load in the bucket. That's important and shows me it works ok. You will sure do a whole lot more steering than lifting and dumping even when loading.

Back to the loader speed. No, I'm afraid that what you see and hear is that he DOES rev it up up a bit when he is dumping. These old tractors worked all their life at what today we call a fast idle. I wouldn't change that or expect it to be much different. Use it as it is and it will last. Putt-putt, not zoom.

I don't think that is SSQA, although I can't explain the upper bucket lip. Nice size bucket, though.

It seems to work ok and especially for the price. Ask him why he is selling it. That's always interesting to me when I buy something old and used.

rScotty

Nothing really stands out to me other than he seems comfortable working the tractor. That PTO sequence is about the same as our old JD. Actually it works a bit better than I thought. It doesn't smoke so bad when running as it did cold....I like that. But it does puff a bit of blue when stalled into the snow bank. That could ..probably is...just an older engine.. I don't hear anything weird.

Sure does remind me of tractors from that era, though. Requires a lot of operator input. After a day's work you sure knew you had been working. Completely different from today's fingertip tractors. I'm spoiled. Of course the old JD with its loader cost $4500 and the new modern one cost twelve times that much.

When I see the 995 owner sequence the PTO it reminds me of the JD at the end of a road, or furrow, or loader trip... Remember, the JD has a hand transmission clutch.

So when it is time to go back the other way, disengage transmission clutch, throttle down, disengage PTO clutch, but leave PTO lever engaged, raise 3pt, re-engage transmission - oops shift gears first, turn it all around, now disengage transmission clutch, check that PTO lever is engaged, engage PTO clutch, throttle up for power, lower 3pt, select lower forward gear, engage transmission clutch... and off we go! Each one of those movements requires adult strength, and sometimes a bit of body lean as well.

Yes, the loader is slow. I would just accept it.
After all, that only came with a small 7 gpm hydro pump and that is probably prioritized for the power steering. Even if that is a standard 60/40 priority valve, then you are left with not much flow for the loader.
Accept that the loader is an afterthought.
It has enough power to help you lift beams and pallets to build a house....which is all that matters. It's will skim a dirt road to flatten ruts, and carry trees or rocks....but no way is it going to be a digger.

On the other hand, that tractor does have a simple old hydraulic cylinder type power steering which seems to work fine although most of that kind do leak. But it works to steer smoothly at idle and stopped with a load in the bucket. That's important and shows me it works ok. You will sure do a whole lot more steering than lifting and dumping even when loading.

Back to the loader speed. No, I'm afraid that what you see and hear is that he DOES rev it up up a bit when he is dumping. These old tractors worked all their life at what today we call a fast idle. I wouldn't change that or expect it to be much different. Use it as it is and it will last. Putt-putt, not zoom.

I don't think that is SSQA, although I can't explain the upper bucket lip. Nice size bucket, though.

It seems to work ok and especially for the price. Ask him why he is selling it. That's always interesting to me when I buy something old and used.

rScotty
Thanks again rScotty!

If it all works out I’ll be going to pick it up next Sunday. It’s about 1000km (600mi) trip each way…the joys of living in the boondocks.

Got her home late last night after a 2000km round trip!
E966092E-0667-4A45-BE63-98EF6351199B.jpeg

Attachments

• D5BD0C0A-AB01-4D15-A9EE-C3BBAACD81B4.jpeg
    D5BD0C0A-AB01-4D15-A9EE-C3BBAACD81B4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
   / Help me price check a DB 995 tractor loader snowblower. #18  
Looks nice, but like it has seen a lot of salt. Probably needs a good wash to get all the salt off and then the project begins! I'm looking forward to hearing about it. Wonder if there are any DB clubs & websites? Congratulations on making the trip.

Looks nice, but like it has seen a lot of salt. Probably needs a good wash to get all the salt off and then the project begins! I'm looking forward to hearing about it. Wonder if there are any DB clubs & websites? Congratulations on making the trip.

The trip went way better than expected. This load was at the very top end of my 1/2 tons tow rating. A WD hitch made it drama free though!

After having working the tractor for about almost a week I have chuckled to myself several times remembering your comment of how it appears as though the tractor has been fixed just enough to get by. That is EXACTLY the case with this tractor! Things are just kinda cobbled together. Lots of missing bolts and support brackets. The temp gauge is the only thing that works properly on the dash.

Surprisingly the tractor was fitted with a thermostart (previous owner wasn’t aware). The wiring to the dash switch is buggered, but I’ve just been jumping power directly to it, which has helped a lot with cold starts.

Steering is incredibly loose, and the internal pump seal is leaking which is causing engine oil to be forced into the ps system. (Common DB issue). That’s what the oil bottle is for that’s tied to the side of the tractor. The good news is I can now just dump the ps overflow back into the engine sump! Haha it took me a little while to figure out why the engine was consuming so much oil.