Oil & Fuel help my tractor is cold

/ help my tractor is cold #11  
I bought a farmall h years ago in fall/early winter the tractor was froze up at dealers parking lot.they drug it inside and put a salamander and thawed it out and change tranny oil.I never had a problem again.

Is that an auto-correct problem? If not, what does "and put a salamander and thawed it out" mean? I've got this mental picture of a lizard crawling in to the fill tube. :)

/ help my tractor is cold #12  
Is that an auto-correct problem? If not, what does "and put a salamander and thawed it out" mean? I've got this mental picture of a lizard crawling in to the fill tube. :)

In some areas of the country a salamander is what they call a forced air heater, torpedo heater or turbo heater. I'm sure you know what one is but its so crazy the different names for everything.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salamander_heater

/ help my tractor is cold #13  
I have a large fuel oil torpedo/salamander and slightly smaller propane one works great for started in cold weather just point at oil pan for 5 minutes and it starts like its summer time.

/ help my tractor is cold #14  
How cold is cold, we just leave them running if its gonna be below -20F, or park it in the barn with the cattle. If you cant shift that sounds like water too me, if its just cold leave it running an hour or so and it will heat enough to operate, unless you got other problems. Didn't know TN got cold enough to cause trouble.

/ help my tractor is cold #15  

a salamander is a kero fired forced heat source.

I bought a 740 ford trike once that would not steer to one side and had no hyds.

i got a few $$ off.

found ice in the front bolster and hyds....

/ help my tractor is cold #16  
In some areas of the country a salamander is what they call a forced air heater, torpedo heater or turbo heater. I'm sure you know what one is but its so crazy the different names for everything.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salamander_heater

A torpedo heater I know about. My dad had one ages ago and we called it by the brand name Knipco. I wonder how it ever got the name salamander. Or was that a brand name too?

/ help my tractor is cold #17  
a search for: THE AMERICAN SALAMANDER HEATER

turned up this:

THE AMERICAN SALAMANDER HEATER is a trademark of Vogelzang International Corporation. Filed in November 4 (2003 )

so at least someone used it.. or at least trademarked it anyway..