Help Please with my 14t!!

/ Help Please with my 14t!! #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
Well I am back, I just bought my first farm tractor that I will be using to pull my 14t. Actually I was just preping the 14t to be painted when I noticed that my wiper arm has fallen down to a broken knotter housing yep the thing that holds all the stuff in your knotting assembly.

I believe I need part # BP 1664 E knotterFrame. I just cant believe it and wose of all I have no idea how it got broke. Anyway if you have one or know where I can get one please let me know I would like to get this thing fixed and painted. thanks Bryan

/ Help Please with my 14t!! #2  
Does Deere's website have the parts program for this baler? I don't deal much with Deere's but if I recall I could use their parts program and it would show what dealers had the parts in stock. But it has been a year and a half since I used it to look for part numbers for my 3300 so I don't remember for sure.

Best of luck to you and your baler. I have a month and a half before I need to start prepping my hay equipment as I don't start cutting till the end of May. Hopefully my back is up to it as I need to change all the blades on the discbine and tune up the baler but hopefully I can get my father to help me out this year.

/ Help Please with my 14t!!
hey Robert, I finally got connected with jd parts for that knotter frame part #, which is just about half of what I paid for the baler. I was hoping someone had a parts 14t around that I could buy the part or even if they could tell me of a salvage yard that may have the part. So if anyone has any suggestions please share. thanks Bryan

/ Help Please with my 14t!! #4  
I would hold off working on that 40 to 50 year old baler. You might find something newer faster with more capacity this spring. The 14 T usually sell for 250 to 2500 around here just depending on the paint and the buyers motivation. I have seen very few are in good shape, most are nearly complete parts machines.
I usually have 2 or so parts machines for every antique junker I try to use.

save the worry buy something newer

/ Help Please with my 14t!! #5  
If the knotter frame got cracked without the machine being run, (as in something fell on it, or someone reefed on it, You can weld it or have it welded. Use a cast iron rod (nickel) with AC. Heat it up first in a charcoal pit if it will make you feel better. The frames are common between JD, NH and Ford in that vintage because the "Deering knotter" was a common device. Maybe NI, too. FarmsWithPreviousOwnedNeatCollectableStuff can probably chime in with his expertise. One of my 14T frames had red paint on it for a while...

There are a few folks on eBay who have 14T etc. machines they are parting out. You need to e-mail them for what you need. They don't just list everything at once.

/ Help Please with my 14t!! #6  
There are a couple of ag salvage yards nearby, PM me if you want some names/numbers. I would think that ought to be pretty easy to come by in salvage, unless it's a commonly broken part.

/ Help Please with my 14t!!
I did the salvage yard route. I am putting it all back together, just have to swap a few prts around and then I will slap a coat of paint on it. I plan on a few pics in the near future.