Help Setting Up Cutter

/ Help Setting Up Cutter #1  

To20Chris

Platinum Member
Tractor
LK3054
Well I just got the TO-20 back in action. It had a rusted out rim and a leaking PTO seal - and then when I could not get the PTO shaft back in I realized that the pump had pretty much smashed itself into many pieces. So all of that is fixed and the ignition and carb are tuned and it's running well (except for one other problem I'll post separately), but I've got a problem setting up the FarmFarce 5' cutter I got (and hate).

Basically the problem is that the lift pins are mounted too low, and unlike my old Woods M5 that had two positions, this only has one. Without position control I cannot limit how high it lifts the implement, and it easily binds the PTO shaft on the front edge of the deck. The only thing I can think of is to get some longer/adjustable side links - does this sound like the right way to go?

/ Help Setting Up Cutter #2  
limit chains. ford 9n/2ns witht he same crude draft only hyds as the fergy's use them alot. That was the chap fix before position control hyds came out.

a bracket basically pins to the toplink with chain slots in it, then run a chain on each side with a washer on the end slipped over the implement pin.. lift mower to just above the height you want to cut at, slip the chains into the bracket, then relaxe the hyds.. mower sets at perfect height.. just start mowing.. if for some reason you have to lift the mower.. say.. to avoid an obstacle, just drop it back to the end of the quadrant after that and the limit chains will hold it at your set height.

you can set the quadrant stop low to keep you from accitentally lifting the mower too high.

of course.. you can also weld on a new set of lift pins too...

soundguy

/ Help Setting Up Cutter
I've been using limit chains on it for 30 years, but that's not the issue. The problem is that it binds on the PTO shaft if you lift it too high. With an old Fergy with no position control, you cannot limit the lift height using the quadrant - the only limit is full up "transport position". So I either need higher pins in the brush hog or loner side links. I just have not had a chance to go look and see what is available - even if the adjustable side links are not long enough, it would still be easier to lengthen them than any other mod.

/ Help Setting Up Cutter #4  
I think I'd get an aftermarket position control jig for it then.

In the old days there was a 'fergy positioner'.. nowadays if you search the internet you can find complete plans to build a position control scheme for the fergy's without it.. and also for ford 9n/2n that incorporate the same belly pump and draft hyds. parts are a handfull of metal biots and some sheet cork and bolts.. IE.. virtually no cost plus some hand tool work.

you can also buy a pre-made kit from a fellow named zane sherman, called the 'zane thang'. He's an old ford dealership mechanic and made a position control jig for 9n/2n.. but works with a fergy tX20/30 fine.. not expensive, and easy to install. all it is is feedback linkage from the 3pt lift arm to the lift handle, and a friction disc.. set the lift where you want it, and then let go of the handle, if the lift moves up, it pushes the control handle down, thus keepin ghte lift in the position you set it, though the 3pt handle may move or oscilate a bit in order to maintain 3pt height where set.. with this setup, you can keep the lift from going higher as the lift rising will drop the 3pt handle, thus dropping the lift.. the dropping lift will raise the 3pt handle, thus raising the lift.. the friction disck and linkage finds an average and the lift stays put.. but as mentioned.. the 3pt handle will move a bit in the process.

with what I told you, I bet you could make one.

soundguy

/ Help Setting Up Cutter #5  
here's a pic of one brand:

soundguy

Attachments

• equal.jpg
    equal.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 227