Help settle an argument: batteries

/ Help settle an argument: batteries #11  
One of the worst things you can do to a battery is not use it.
A battery maintainer will greatly prolong your batteries life.

/ Help settle an argument: batteries #12  
I totally agree. Find the reason the batteries are going bad. Any battery whether 6v or 12v in a diesel tractor should last at least 4 years as long as your charging system is working properly. Your system could be overcharging the batteries and burning them out just as easily as it could be failing to charge. An ammeter should tell you if the charge is doing correctly or if the needle is constantly in the 12-14v range, the voltage regulator might be bad. After running a while to recharge the starting drain, the needle should return to near zero.

Yearly replacement of battery/batteries) is not the answer.

6 volt batteries are less durable and more expensive than a decent quality Group 31 battery. If he can buy two batteries that last longer than the original configuration, have more than double the CCA at lesser cost what is the downside? Changing the cable configuration and ditching the 40 year old cables will probably cure the underlying problem if there is one anyway. If he chooses to try one Group 31 battery the savings are greater. For me, converting is a no-brainer.

/ Help settle an argument: batteries #13  
6 volt batteries are less durable and more expensive than a decent quality Group 31 battery. If he can buy two batteries that last longer than the original configuration, have more than double the CCA at lesser cost what is the downside? Changing the cable configuration and ditching the 40 year old cables will probably cure the underlying problem if there is one anyway. If he chooses to try one Group 31 battery the savings are greater. For me, converting is a no-brainer.

How do you substantiate your statement that 6V batteries are less durable? Show your work.

/ Help settle an argument: batteries #14  
How do you substantiate your statement that 6V batteries are less durable? Show your work.

Anecdotal evidence similar to the OP’s poor service life of these batteries. Not at all uncommon. And no, I don’t have to “ show my work”. It’s called an opinion based on experience and an understanding of real world costs. Take it or leave it, I’ll sleep well either way.

Here are two questions; how many tractors, trucks or other equipment or vehicles produced in the last 30 years have left the factory with multiple 6 volt batteries? Why not?

Last edited:
   / Help settle an argument: batteries #15  
Anecdotal evidence similar to the OP痴 poor service life of these batteries. Not at all uncommon. And no, I don稚 have to show my work? It痴 called an opinion based on experience and an understanding of real world costs. Take it or leave it, I値l sleep well either way.

Here are two questions; how many tractors, trucks or other equipment or vehicles produced in the last 30 years have left the factory with multiple 6 volt batteries? Why not?

Why Not?

Wire Size! The move is to 24V and beyond. Check with your local military outfit for confirmation. It has Nothing to do with battery service life!

/ Help settle an argument: batteries #16  

Getting 12 volts with 6 volt batteries leaves more room for bad connections but aside from that I don’t have any proof.

/ Help settle an argument: batteries #17  
Getting 12 volts with 6 volt batteries leaves more room for bad connections but aside from that I don’t have any proof.
Agreed. Charging one vs. two, which is the weak one? Just less hassle IMO.

/ Help settle an argument: batteries #18  
Why Not?

Wire Size! The move is to 24V and beyond. Check with your local military outfit for confirmation. It has Nothing to do with battery service life!

Military? What part of this discussion did that come from? This is about 12 volt systems and 6 volt batteries. Current demand dictates wire size. Nothing else. Thanks for being obtuse.

/ Help settle an argument: batteries #19  
Military? What part of this discussion did that come from? This is about 12 volt systems and 6 volt batteries. Current demand dictates wire size. Nothing else. Thanks for being obtuse.

Yes, current demand does dictate wire size. However, higher voltage means less current is required to get the same job done: Power = Current X Voltage.

/ Help settle an argument: batteries #20  
The main reason for going 24 volts is weight of all the copper wire needed for the multiple electrical systems.
The bigger the aircraft the longer the wire runs and the larger the wire gauge needed to carry current.
On large aircraft voltage drop also must be considered due to lengths.
You could probably also add cost of copper to the equation.

Just look at the wire size of a 6 volt system vs a 12 volt system, a 6 volt starter is using what seems to be welding cables.

Heck I'm surprised cars haven't gone to 24 volts yet.