Help with 3-point slack...

/ Help with 3-point slack... #1  

Gobblin Tom

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 JD 2520
Hey all, I have a JD2520 that I just had chains put on, (Some of you all ready know this) Anyway I got the chains tight and put 6 bungees on each tire. I went down my driveway tonight with my 3pt up the whole way and it went (swayed) to the left and started hitting the chain on the tire... I lowered the 3pt a little and it stopped. What I want to know is the little link arms on the bottom of both sides of the 3pt used for tightening that up (The left and right motion)? My rear tires are already reversed to the wide position... I just can't have these hitting because it causes a big problem when skidding logs out... :confused:

/ Help with 3-point slack... #2  
What is connected to your 3pt?
Yes, there are sway "link arms" (or bars) to keep the lift arms from moving much.

And some hitting may be due to large tire chains on the tires. There is not much room on the insides for clearance.

How about a pic or two?

/ Help with 3-point slack... #3  
I lowered the 3pt a little and it stopped. What I want to know is the little link arms on the bottom of both sides of the 3pt used for tightening that up (The left and right motion)?

Yep... that's what ya gotta do. Raise it up to the highest point that you'll be using the rear blade on your 3pt. Then adjust the left-right equally so that the blade is centered at the back of the tractor.

Done.

My 3pt's are generally always working loose a bit. So, I check mine every now and then and readjust if necessary.

AKfish

Just occurred to me... do you have the "new and improved" lower link arms that Deere now uses on the 2520's? Hope so! Gotta get 'em if you don't have 'em.

/ Help with 3-point slack...
What is connected to your 3pt?
Yes, there are sway "link arms" (or bars) to keep the lift arms from moving much.

And some hitting may be due to large tire chains on the tires. There is not much room on the insides for clearance.

How about a pic or two?

I will try and get a few pics tonight, I have the I-match on at all times....

Yep... that's what ya gotta do. Raise it up to the highest point that you'll be using the rear blade on your 3pt. Then adjust the left-right equally so that the blade is centered at the back of the tractor.

Done.

My 3pt's are generally always working loose a bit. So, I check mine every now and then and readjust if necessary.

AKfish

Just occurred to me... do you have the "new and improved" lower link arms that Deere now uses on the 2520's? Hope so! Gotta get 'em if you don't have 'em.

Yes I do have the newer style arms on mine...

/ Help with 3-point slack... #6  
I have the I-match on at all times....

Hi Tom
If that is the case,you shouldn't have any sway. That is if your turnbuckles are tight. I don't have a better pic than this.Hard to tell how far they are threaded in,but they are darn tight.

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    964.6 KB · Views: 275
Hi Tom
If that is the case,you shouldn't have any sway. That is if your turnbuckles are tight. I don't have a better pic than this.Hard to tell how far they are threaded in,but they are darn tight.

Greg

That's funny I just got done tightening them. There is no sway in them now for sure! I also stopped at Advance Auto on my way home and mixed some of the Service Power stuff in with a little diesel left in the can and dumped in my tank.... They are saying we are supposed to be in the 20's for a high Saturday.... I hope I have things straightened out now....

/ Help with 3-point slack... #8  
Your manual describes the procedure.

Here it is, copied from the Deere website:

Adjusting Implement Side-to-Side Sway

NOTE: Check implement operatorç—´ manual procedure for adjusting sway links. When sway links have been properly adjusted, side sway of implement is controlled by position of links.
OMLVU19796_F938.jpg

MX12113, MX12114
1. Lower any rear mount implement to the ground.
2. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the SAFETY section.)
3. Remove locking ring (A).
4. Rotate turnbuckle (B) to adjust length.
5. Install locking ring.

With these turnbuckles, you won't eliminate all sway...just reduce it as much as possible. With a rear blade or rotary cutter, you'll still get 2-3 inches sway at the end of the implement.
However, with nothing installed on the lower links, there's nothing to inhibit movement....BUT, there should be welded on loops on the lifting links that can be hooked together with a bungee or spring (on my 790, the spring (about 12 inches long before stretch) came with the tractor.

ADDED: I see you resolved your sway problem...

Last edited:
Your manual describes the procedure.

Here it is, copied from the Deere website:

Adjusting Implement Side-to-Side Sway

NOTE: Check implement operator痴 manual procedure for adjusting sway links. When sway links have been properly adjusted, side sway of implement is controlled by position of links.
OMLVU19796_F938.jpg

MX12113, MX12114
1. Lower any rear mount implement to the ground.
2. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the SAFETY section.)
3. Remove locking ring (A).
4. Rotate turnbuckle (B) to adjust length.
5. Install locking ring.

With these turnbuckles, you won't eliminate all sway...just reduce it as much as possible. With a rear blade or rotary cutter, you'll still get 2-3 inches sway at the end of the implement.
However, with nothing installed on the lower links, there's nothing to inhibit movement....BUT, there should be welded on loops on the lifting links that can be hooked together with a bungee or spring (on my 790, the spring (about 12 inches long before stretch) came with the tractor.

ADDED: I see you resolved your sway problem...

Thanks Roy! I actually unbolted mine from the 3 pt turned the turnbuckle and replaced the nut and retightened... Them rings are a pain to try and get off, figured that was the easiest way... Right now I have no side to side movement at all, it is snug...