Rear Finish Mower Help with 3 pt set up on finish mower

/ Help with 3 pt set up on finish mower
want pictures as well. you stating the PTO shaft at the tractor. and not towards the mower. (sounds odd) normally slip clutch at the implement not the tractor), what you call slip clutch might be an over running clutch (completely different), or it might be simply a PTO shaft extension.

PTO shafts generally are "bought longer" and then you need to cut them down to fit a specific tractor.

=========
be careful with 3pt hitch quick hitches, many of them you need to modify 3pt hitch implement to work with a quick hitch. (1/2" there 2 inches there... 3pt hitches are not completely standardized. meaning cutting and re-welding something.

pats easy hitch, might be something.

telescopic lower lift arms (only designed to make attaching easier, not actually extended while working an implement) you might find some lower lift arms longer for a CAT 1 3pt hitch (i assuming your tractor has)

Thanks, Boggen. I think you're right. What I have on the back of my tractor PTO shaft is an overrun clutch not a slip clutch. I think I'll be able to shorten the PTO shaft and take care of things as long as my lower lift arms are long enough to give sufficient clearance between the mower and the rear tires. I'll check that today and if there's enough clearance, I'll shorten the shaft. If I don't have enough clearance the pats easy hitch seems to be a suitable option that would give enough clearance. I'll likely have to shorten the PTO shaft in either case.

Thanks for the help. I'm learning a lot about these things and it really helps to hear from people who are knowledgeable.

/ Help with 3 pt set up on finish mower #12  
Why not remove the overrun clutch? Is there something specific you need it for? Does your tractor have an independent PTO?

Why not remove the overrun clutch? Is there something specific you need it for? Does your tractor have an independent PTO?

I think I could remove it but I think I'd still have to shorten the PTO shaft. I buttoned everything up today except for the PTO shaft and I've got enough clearance for everything. The simplest and least expensive solution at this point appears to be to shorten the PTO shaft. I may get that done this afternoon and I think I'll be good to MOW!!

Thanks again for all of the help with this.

/ Help with 3 pt set up on finish mower #14  
Not sure why you would want or need an over run clutch. Especially for a finish mower. As was already said finish mowers don't usually use a clutch or shear bolt because they are belt driven.

I use mine with my quick hitch and I can offer two suggestions. First is you need a strap or coupler of some sort for the top link connection. The quick hitch hook won't stay hooked. Second is to make sure you don't lower the quick hitch down onto the drive shaft. You want the lift arms to float but you don't want the hitch resting on the shaft.

/ Help with 3 pt set up on finish mower #15  
"What I have on the back of my tractor PTO shaft is an overrun clutch not a slip clutch"

The over run clutch is on there for use with a bush hog. When you go to stop the tractor, the momentum of the bush hog blades (Heavy) will keep trying to push you forward. Lots of people have fun running into their bar/car/pond without one on the older type tractors. My '52 8N will use one when I have a bush hog attached. However, it has been relegated to just the 5' bush hog brand finishing mower that I have. Doesn't need one for that application. Some of the ORC's are equipped with a push button release and others have a roll pin that is exposed when you remove the two grease fittings on each side and then you can tap it out with something thin like a small punch. Hope this helps edumacate you a little more about the needs of tractors...

/ Help with 3 pt set up on finish mower #16  
Not sure why you would want or need an over run clutch. Especially for a finish mower. As was already said finish mowers don't usually use a clutch or shear bolt because they are belt driven.

^^this. You don't need the overrun clutch unless you have a single stage clutch. I would take it off before sawing up the pto shaft.

/ Help with 3 pt set up on finish mower #17  
^^this. You don't need the overrun clutch unless you have a single stage clutch. I would take it off before sawing up the pto shaft.

That's why I asked if he had an independent PTO. but your point is very good, why size a PTO shaft to accommodate an overrunning clutch that you don't need. If you need it for a specific application that is another story, of course.

I shortened the PTO shaft. Everything is working great. I don't anticipate using this tractor for anything other than mowing. Based on that the economical move was to cut the PTO.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Ben