Help with Carburetor

/ Help with Carburetor #11  
If you lay the solenoid out and it is not touching tractor metal it is not grounded and will not work. Hook up a ground wire in that case.
Slowly creeping back out ? That solenoid should pull in and stay in, not wander around.
If you have a volt meter (dirt cheap at harbor freight) measure voltage into the solenoid. You are measuring voltage drop across the solenoid. Should be up close to 12V.
If voltage is low, maybe creeping downward, there is probably a bad connection at a plug in or something. Maybe even the key switch. Go backwards, wiggle wires as you check, go down the line checking voltage till you find the full 12 volts. You will know where the problem is. I think there is only one plug between the solenoid and the key where a problem might occur. A bad corroded connection which will drop voltage. It can and will float around because of heat buildup at the bad spot. Drop 8 volts across the bad spot and only get 4 volts to the place that needs the full 12 V.
You can not measure voltage drop if the circuit is dis-connected anywhere because you wold measure the full 12V drop across the air gap you created. Yep, voltage drop. You sound like a big time electrician when you toss around words like that.
Us dummys find voltage drop by feeling connections. When we burn the crap out of our fingers we have found the problem. :)
Hows that for making it all technical and confusing?
Just be sure you got 12V at the solenoid and it STAYS there when you wiggle wires, key etc.

Dang man! You might have to replace the whole top of the carb? Never had a problem like that but gotta be fixed.

/ Help with Carburetor #12  
One time had a terrible time figuring out what was wrong with a Kohler motor on one of my zero turn mowers. It sounds different than your motor, but here it goes anyway. It would run then shut off. I could keep it running by spraying carb cleaner into the carburetor so that told me it wasn't getting fuel. I couldn't wait as it was for business. So I replaced the filter and some other parts. Still didn't work. Did some more things and ended buying a carburetor. Still didn't work. I was frustrated. I don't remember how I figured it out but it turned out to be the key switch. It shut off power to the solenoid then shut off the motor. So take it for what it's worth. Like I said it sounds different than your problem

/ Help with Carburetor #13  
One thing I did do was lay the solenoid out and turned the key. I saw no discernible movement of the plunger, so you may be onto the culprit.

Take a piece of steel and put it next to the solenoid when you energize it. If your electrical circuit is working, you should be able to feel the magnetic field around the solenoid when it is energized.

/ Help with Carburetor
Thanks again everyone. I'll give all these suggestions a try.

Here's a picture of the nozzle I broke off (first picture). The nozzle goes into the hole next to the slow jet in the second picture. Since its should be sealed, could this really spray gasoline into a dangerous place? I realize it might not run the best, but I'm trying to figure out if I can at least run it safely while I troubleshoot the original problem. I can't find a part number for the broken nozzle, or for the carburetor upper body. Does this mean I'll have to buy a whole new carb to fix it?

IMG_1434.JPGIMG_1435.JPG

/ Help with Carburetor #15  
I was thinking about another tube outside the carb. My bad.
What is broke is the emulsion tube. It is where the gas and air are mixed together. To give you an example of the importance of that tube, I one time drilled those holes a tad bigger in a race engine carb. It ran worse. So with it completely gone I wonder if it would even run at all ???
Anyway no danger of burning down the garage because of that broken tube. I guess not anyway...

Don't know if or how that tube could be replaced. Probably have to buy the whole part it's hooked to ?.

/ Help with Carburetor
FWIW...it did run for several minutes with that tube broken off...

/ Help with Carburetor #17  
Well now I know :)
I see in the picture both thru bolts are still in place. That how the tube got bent maybe?
When you pull the float out to see what crud is in the float bowl and blow out the jet holes again, (watch your eyes) put a rag in the throat so when the needle falls off the float it don't decide to go down into the engine.
That will really ruin your day!

/ Help with Carburetor #18  
I can't find a part number for the broken nozzle, or for the carburetor upper body. Does this mean I'll have to buy a whole new carb to fix it?

You can download the EH72 illustrated parts manual from the Robin website. That manual has a dedicate page for the EH72 carb.

The carb upper or lower body is doesn't have a part number, so that means you have to buy the whole thing. And that jet is not a user replaceable part, apparently :(

Part Number #280-62301-30 on Jacks Small Engines: $296. Ouch!

/ Help with Carburetor
Wanted to drop a quick update for anyone having similar issues. I haven't determined the exact problem...probably a clogged jet. But since I broke that emulsion tube, I ended up buying a new carburetor. Put it on, and the tractor is running great. Thanks again for all the help.