Help with loosing screws..

/ Help with loosing screws.. #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I had my dads Stihl 031av all apart to clean it up a while back and found it was missing a few screws holding the side pieces on and the one holding the muffler on.. I bought new screws for the side pieces and made sure everything was tight before i started using it

I noticed that after only a little use one of the side screws has come out and that the muffler is loose again..

What should I use to keep from screws from loosening up? Obviously it has to be something that is non-permanent..

thanks

Brian

/ Help with loosing screws.. #2  
Lock washers, Loc Tight.

/ Help with loosing screws.. #3  
There are different grades of locktite.
Some can be 'cracked loose' with a simple spanner, and some need real effort to the point of virtually being permanant, so ask B4 buying.

/ Help with loosing screws.. #4  
Loc tite blue and a couple of extra sets of all the screws you had to replace. Chainsaws vibrate which loosens screws then you lose screws. It's a fact. I buy bar nuts 10 at a time. Muffler bolts are always loosening. If I try to tighten too much I tend to break bolts

/ Help with loosing screws.. #5  
Loc tite blue and a couple of extra sets of all the screws you had to replace. Chainsaws vibrate which loosens screws then you lose screws. It's a fact. I buy bar nuts 10 at a time. Muffler bolts are always loosening. If I try to tighten too much I tend to break bolts

Loctite 242 or 243 (blue) would be an option, also Loctite 222 (purple) is a
good choice it is commonly used in guns and gunsmithing.

242 is the normal blue 243 is more oil tolerant than 242, and it flows better IMO.