Help with tire repair

/ Help with tire repair #1  

dixie

Went to use my tractor and noticed my left rear tire (16.9 x 28) cleat tread on my M5700 is flat. Upon examination I found a large bolt or lag head sticking out of the tire, buried to the head. The head looks to be 7/8" or 1 inch. I haven't tried removing it yet. The tire has plenty of tread and no dry rot. I would like to know if I will have to remove the tire from the rim, dry the inside of any moisture and install a patch? When I fill it again with water and air, will the water cause the patch to separate from the inside of the tire? Is their a better/easier way to patch it?

Thanks in advance

/ Help with tire repair #2  
Call a tractor tire store, have them come out, patch the tire, then put a tube in and then your ballast fluid. You will always have a weak point there unless you can come up with an external patch for the hole. You could use a carriage bolt from the inside with a plate on the outside. I have never done this but it has to cheaper than buying a new tire. Let us know how you solve this. I have plugged a front R4 after running a nail through it in between the treads and did not have any problems after.

/ Help with tire repair #3  
A good tire service center (one that deals with tractor or at least large trucks) should have a reinforced "boot" or patch to place over the hole on the inside. THen I would also put in a tube and fill that with your fluid. I ran over a 1 1/2 inch sharpened beaver cutting and had a large puncture. It was patched this way and has held up fine. You can also smear some rubber patch material (like shoe goo) in the exterior surfaced to keep the dirt out of the wound.

/ Help with tire repair #4  
I had a similar problem. Large hole in tire. I put a patch on the inside of the tire. I cut the old tube around the inside center of the tube. I cut out the tube valve. I then placed the old tube inside the tire as a liner, installed a new tube over the liner and reassembled tire. It has worked well for a few years now.

I did the same thing for a nearby neighbor. This was on a dump trailer that kept picking up sharp needles in the yard. She has not called me back yet. So far.

/ Help with tire repair #5  
It sounds like it could be a large puncture, but assuming its a tubeless tyre I still think your first option should be a D.I.Y. tyre plug. You won't have to remove the tyre and the kits are cheap. (under $20 at most auto parts stores.) They are pretty easy to use and a kit will fix about 5 punctures. You can buy replacement plugs for about $5 a pack. The plugs are sticky things that look like licorice, or short fat pipe cleaners. I've found these will permanently fix the punctures 4 out of 5 times.

P.S. They won't work very well if the tyre is wet when you plug it. So if the tyre is filled make sure the puncture is right at the top and you ream out the puncture hole well to dry it.

One more thing. Don't let it sit on a flat tyre for too long. You could ruin the tyre or break the bead which can make it hard to re-inflate. Jack it up and support it on some blocks.

Attachments

• Tyre plugs.jpg
    Tyre plugs.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited: