Help!

/ Help! #11  
Flusher,

I assume you are in favor of one of the farmalls? If you had to choose b/w a farmall A, Farmall cub, and farmall H [each of these are for sale within a reasonable driving distance] for snow plowing, some gardening, and mowing [and some brush hogging], which one?

Kindly,
M

I agree with Bob in VA--don't get a trike, get a Farmall with a wide front end if you plan to attach stuff up front (like a snow blade). The Cub is pretty underpowered at 10 hp or so. My Farmall Super A with the wide front end was used by CalTrans as a mowing tractor (sicklebar) along roads around Mt Lassen. And several members of my tractor club have restored Farmall H's and use them for tractor pulls. The H is more tractor than I would like to work on, so I'm partial to the Super A for the type of work you plan to do.

Good luck.

/ Help! #12  
look past the ford N series and get something like a 660, 661, 860, 861 etc. those are live pto, dual clutch.. 6xx are 34 hp or so.. and the 8xx are 45hp or so, early 4 cyl 2000/4000 are similar to the 6xx/8xx models.

not much more if any, money than a ford N.. and 1.5-2 times more hp.. and way more options.. easier to get hyd remotes.. etc..

a nice 3 cyl ford 2000 or 3000 would be ok to.. but starts getting more $$.. like 3000-4500$ whereas the 6xx/8xx/4cyl 000 are in the 1800-2800$ range all day arounf her. with N bringing 700-1200$. the NAA is inbetween the N and 6xx.. and is basically as capable as the 6xx, but has the 4spd of the 8n and rear hubs o f the 8n.. hard to get aux hyds from them as well ... stick 55-64 or 65-75 on fords and $$ will be reasonable.. and good aprts support on most of them.

your choices will be 4spd ( non live pto ), 5 spd non live and 5 spd live pto.. once you hit 65, then you can get 6 and 8spds.. with many 8spds being live pto. ( have heard rumors of rare 6 spds with live pto ).

there are 10spd SOS powershift transmissions too.. kind of a dice roll though. if they are in good working order, run hot and cold, and work in all ranges and have been maintained.. then they will probably stay that way.if they alread have problems.. it could be anything from 25 cents to 2500$ to repair them.... generally SOS tractors go for less money than a 4spd of the same tractor type... IE.. an 871 will be less money than an 841.. etc.

soundguy

/ Help! #13  
Ford 8N an up. If looking at a ferguson make sure the block isn't cracked. I like my little cub for mowing the lawn and snowplowing out to the chicken coop. They made all the attachments for the cub. The thing they forgot was to make more power.

Kirk