Backhoe help!

/ help! #1  

timeflyer896

Tractor
1964 case 530 ck
I spent 4300 on this tractor, 1964 case 530 ck and beginning to feel i might have wasted money. I am no farmer own my own business and I bought this for it to be my first back hoe. it did not leak when i looked at it upon getting it home what a nightmare.
1) the g1411 torque tub is leaking fluid from what appears to be mounting holes on the bottom of the case. there is 6 holes and the 2 holes that are leaking i can put my screw drive all the way into transmission the other are solid and dry. i asked a parts guy who had one on shelf in pa he told me that the holes are not supposed to be all the way through. My question anyone else run into this? is so seeing the holes are threaded would a bolt seal it back up?
2) seems to be leaking oil from pan or torque converter not sure just black spot and back of pan and bottom of bell-housing wet
3) hydro fluid leaking from front pump area
4) back hoe needs new say bushing and pin for left hand side it has lot of play and lift piston up and down by hand
5) back hoes valve body is leaking as well everything moves nice except main boom that is jerky but that valve is like poring fluid out
6) the 4 speed gear case has an 1" of gear oil in it not on dip stick at all.
7) tries are dry rotted.

so any ideas or help on parts thoughts would be grate. the engine is gas and it seems as though he did rebuild that it has plenty of power he said he replaced the pinion gears....but low gear oil>>> well eh it drove fine about 30 mph i parked it checked in morning found all this then

again i am new at this i have never owned a machine like this so i need some sound advice on my next best move ....sell or fix and if fix some ideas on how to get parts and cheap modernization's

/ help! #2  
Sounds like that was a plenty to give for it, but hopefully this info will help you make your decision to keep it, or cut your losses, and run. If you don't have any manuals, here is a link that has the specs, and in the menu at the left in blue, manuals for parts and service for the tractor, loader, and model 32 hoe that should be on it. Case 530CK - Tractor Specs God bless the guy that posted this link, whoever he is..., LOL..

Bolt holes can probably be sealed up, if cleaned real well with carb, or brake cleaner. Coat the threads well with Permatex 300 sealer. Reckon' you could also put a washer on it, and cut a gasket out of gasket material to fit the bolt snug, and OD of the washer. Just snug good, but not too much to squirt the gasket out.

Oil from torque converter area very well may be the seal out of the internal hyd. system. The reservoir is located in the torque tube. Replacing the seal itself, isn't that bad of a job. The bad news, you need to remove the loader and hoe to split the tractor. Not a fun job, but it can be done...

If you have a decent shop with concrete floor, large tools, jacks, chain hoists, cribbing etc., it's not a bad job to split the tractor. I had my 310B broke down in to 6 seperate pieces...

Oil from the hyd. pump area may be a loose fitting, or even a loose clamp on the inlet side of the pump. When replacing the fan belt on my 480C, I found the PO had forgot to tighten the clamps on the inlet hose on the pump.

Pins and bushings are more than likely still available from Case. CASE

You'll have to start by clicking on parts & service, then follow the pages until you come to enter your model number. And that should be model 32 of the hoe. Model number should be located on a tag, on the side of the hoe control tower.

Valve body and cylinder should be able to be rebuilt at a good local hyd shop, if you have one near by. Case can more then likely do it if you have a dealer near by, but be prepared to "assume the position"... A good hyd. shop would more than likely be less expensive.

1" of oil in the tranny probably due to the 2 bolt holes open in it, if indeed they go into the tranny. But betting the seals are out, behind the brake assy's. And that is just a common thing for the Case models of the era, with this style of brakes. Plus, probably the seal out between the tranny, and torque tube. It was on my 310B, and hence the breaking it down into 6 pieces to fix it all... 8 pieces if you count the brake assemblies...

Replacing the front tires may not be too bad. You could go with either Ag tires, or 15" trailer tires. I opted for the trailer tires, as steering traction was not an issue for me. The rears..?? OUCH... Best option id to keep checking like Craigslist etc. for good used ones... I believe they are 14.9 24's..?? I bought a new one, and was right at $400.00 + $50.00 to mount, w/tube.

If by chance you decide to go ahead, and go for it, and need brake parts, torque converter, or other aftermarket parts, theis place was the best I found on parts: Remanufactured Transmissions, Torque Converters, Engines - Joseph Industries

More then likely you'll be speaking with Bill Pingley. Heck of a nice guy, and will fix you right up, if they have what you need. Really reasonable prices,and fast shipping.

The key to finding any part for this machine, is having the part number. If you copy and paste the part number from the manuals, Case parts page, to Google, you can possibly find that part anywhere from ebay, to dealers, to aftermarket suppliers.

Hope this helps on whether to follow through, or cut and run decision. And sorry to be so long winded, just tried to cover all the bases... But been there done that, but came out alright on my particular deal...

Good luck..!!

/ help!
thanks so much>

so far this is what i have found after cleaning and driving. the transmission case is cracked but but put a bolt in the hole its leaking out of should seal it up ( i found out the torque tube was used on a few other tractors so the 6 holes on the bottom were used for mounting it) now here is some news after driving checked fluids it seem the gear oil is mixing into the torque tube. i will have to seal torque tub and fill both cases and then will know for sure but fluid on dip stick looked to be gear oil. after driving this seems to be the only leak in transmission so i presume that by torque converter was run of oil from oil pan when drain plug was loose
im going to try and find a hydro shop to rebuild valves in case spools are bad seeing so far have not found new valves or spools for this machine the i saw the price for tires and that hurts a lot WOW any way its bullet that will have to be bit seeing i think fixing it will be the better move. its a shame i have all my old auto tools but not enough to split this beast so i can repair myself.

again thank you i will keep updating as i get money to fix it it runs very well and after driving it i feel more confident in going forward. i recognize the age factor and respect that as much as it hurt it helps. the parts guy at case reminded me this a new back hoe is about 70k and up and i paid 4k for this he also informed me that parts are expensive but not compared to how much it can make me and what the same part cost for a newer backhoe.

i hope this turns out to be a good investment

/ help! #4  
Really.., only a few large tools are needed to remove the hoe itself. I think they are like 1-1/2" bolts, requiring like a 2" wrench, and I used a pipe wrench on the other end. Mine are just the cheapie set, and they did the job. As far as on the tractor itself, my shop set only goes to 1-1/4", and they were all that was needed to split it.

/ help!
my main issue is it seems some one welded back hoe on so i would need like you said a way to remove bucket and suspend the lift arms then some jacks that would support the weight and a way to separate this thing while leaving back hoe on. from video of back hoe engine repair looks like that front half is pretty heavy and as i said the hoe would have to remain attached to back half

/ help! #6  
Hmmmm.... Mine was attached by brackets attached to the rear axle housings, and also heavy bars that bolted to the rear loader frame.

Don't know what to tell you...