Help!!

/ Help!! #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
Hi Guys,

I am looking, within the next year to buy a tractor. If I buy compact, I will go 1440v. But i think my needs will call for either a 400 series ( if i buy new, I will price with and without a cab ) or a used 4200/4300 series. The one thing that keeps me going back to the 400 series is the simplicity of them. Sliding gear trannys and no or not too much fancy electronics. That is what I like, after all I want it too be around in 40 + years and runnin' strong( unless I trade up to a 5400 later!! ) just like my Dads 1959 MF FE 35 is now. ( We are going to do a resto on that, and I will post pics when and as it is done!! ) Whichever I buy will have 4wd, a FEL , and a mechanical shuttle, and hopefully a cab if the price is right!!

Any feed back from you guys is appreciated!!

Thanks

Will
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Help!! #2  
WilliamBos..... you've had like 56 reviews and no replies. You probably need to give more info to get more feedback... or at least some feedback you can use. What is your need?? You didin't indicate what you want to use it for and you don't have any member information posted. If you are going the 4WD route then you will probably start looking at the 451... the 400 series is exactly what you described.... basically a utility tractor while the 1400 series is actually a Compact Utility Tractor. There are a lot of guys here that have a much more extensive knowledge than I do on the subject.... post some more info on acreage, usage intent etc.... and you'll be amazed at the feedback. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Help!! #3  
Well, I had a 471 with the bushog fel and now have a 4345 with the massey 1070 fel.the 1070 is a hunk of junk imo.Had to straighten out my dump/scoop cylinder rods because I bent them back dragging.BUT,each machine is/was great.I had a prob with the 4345 because the hyd filter was clogged with rubber from the fel hoses,but all is well.The 471 is a great machine because of the power and usability for the money and simplicity.I sat on a 471 with a cab and it was alright,but you have to duck when you get out because the roof is really low by the door.The 4345 is a luxury all the way,wouldnt change a thing.Either way I would go with the bushog fel.It sits in front of thr tractor snuggly where it should and is very strong.

/ Help!! #4  
Last fathers day I became the PROUD owner of a 2wd 451 and couldnt be happier. It is a simple tractor no frill's but it is a proven design that has workrd for over 30 years. This is a heavy tractor with good power,you can get it with shuttle 4wd pretty much what ever you need. If you need more of a farm type tractor as I did this is a great choice. Please feel free to private message me if you have any questions.

Im pretty sure that if I could by another tractor tomorrow I would go with a larger 400 series and pretty much have all I need. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Help!! #5  
I have a 4225 MFWD Cab tractor. It is equipped with a Westendorf FEL, which has been great. However, the original joystick was junk (IMO) and I replaced it with their precision unit and am 100 % happier.

The tractor has been great, starts right up in the cold, good power and best of all, Heat when its cold and cold (AC) when it's hot out!
I have used the tractor for plowing, discing, spreading lime, fertilizer and grass seed. I have a roller aerator, Rhino TW84 bushhog, post hole digger, etc. I have used the fel to grub up stumps, (worked much better for this after I added teeth to the bucket) spread 20 or so loads of various sizes of gravel, I have leveled ground, cleared out old logging roads on my property to use as ATV trails.

Lately, I spread and leveled 4 loads of top soil in the back yard for a play area for my son (3 and LOVES TRACTORS) who has ridden in the cab in his instructors seat (with seat belt) throughout most if not all of this. Through out I have had the following happen, Clutch cable broke (rusted through from a contaminate on the cable end) AC pressure switch on the compressor failed and I broke the end off of a power steering hose when a 3" sapling sprung up after the bucket edge cut through it about 2 feet up from the ground.

As hard as I have used the tractor, this is nothing,, (did I mention that I bought the tractor used out of Missouri?)

These are great machines and I am sure that you would be satisfied with either but, think carefully about what you want to do with the tractor before you buy one. Tell your dealer your intentions and ask his advice as well. For instance, my tractor is a manual side shift with a high low splitter on the side of the dash and I will tell you that there have been many times I wished I had a power reverser, hydrostatic or shuttle shift for doing lots of loader work while shifting from forward to reverse again and again and again etc.

Give these good people here some more information and I guarantee they will give you solid advice for your consideration.

Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Help!!
Hi,

I want to go 4wd for sure. This tractor will do everything my dads 35 has done. Starting off with hay, plowing, cultivation, discing, seeding, basically a good farm tracotr. As for a loader, for the manure pile, hay, snow, and anything else tha needs to be moved. The 35 also has a loader, but why not have 2. Our farm is only 47 acres, but eventually we will add more acerage, and later on another tactor, a little bigger too!! Thats why I am leaning the 400 way, simplicity, price, and longevity. A 1400 would be ok for lighter stuff, but a bigger one is needed more!! So, opinions on the 4200/4300 and 400's please!!I hope this helps . I will update my info later.

Thankyou

Will
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Help!! #7  
You'll not be gaining much with the CUT over the MF 35.

A cab on a 400 series means a 471 or larger. They are of a well proven design,though more of an older econo type of tractor. If you can live with it,a very good choice.

The 4200/4300 series have newer technology,and more options. Hi-vis for both cab and hood is available,as is powershift and powershuttle.

If buying used,I doubt you'd find very many if any 400s with cab today.

Demo both types at your place,and go with what you feel most comfortable in.....

/ Help!! #8  
I have the 451 I really like it I do not have 4wd or shuttle but I didnt really need it at this time. This tractor is stout around from 44 to 46 pto hp depending on which brouchere you look at. My manual say's 46. This tractor came standard with draft control and 2 sets of Aux hydraulics, It will handle a 7ft 3pt disc mower like it isnt even there. Are you going to be switching to round bales if so the 471 and 481 would be great.
I like simple and the 400 series is simple or Classic Massey Ferguson. It is a good buy for the money I paid 14800.00 and that was with a 6ft International BH. IF it had 4wd and a loader it would be hard pressed to be as a utility tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif