Here's why I bought a tractor

/ Here's why I bought a tractor #1  

TotalNoob

Tractor
Ford 1710
I have been lurking on this sight a long time and I'm just getting around to adding anything instead of taking. I feel it will be this way every year since I spend most of my free time up at "The Place" as I've come to call it. The road to The Place isn't maintained snow free starting 3 miles short of it. Once snow reaches 18 inches at a point, Tahoe National Forest folk put a gate across the road and only tracked snow machines can access it. Yeah, I want a snow mobile! I was able to visit Dec 8&9, but it was sketchy in my 4X4 pickup so I can't/won't tow my tractor up there. So I've taken the time to put this here.

The Place=40 acres of mostly gently sloped forest at 5500'. Where there are trees, there are a few species of pine, cedar, fir, and some pitiful looking type of oak. Down at the lower, steeper elevations I also have some awesome, huge old redwoods. I love it down there! Where there are no trees, I have ACRES of Effin' manzanita. So thick one can't walk through it. I have a very rough road leading into my property but it is not my legal easement, I've been working on that. Here is the easement as I found it:
Easement before.jpg
and here is after several hours of "play".
Easement after.jpg

While I don't have many pictures, I spent most of my time pre-tractor clearing a space of manzanita using my truck and a chain. Here's one of my pretty wife celebrating a rather tough manzanita to pull out.
Chain gang.jpeg
This space is to be our camp site. I spent a VERY long weekend manually clearing a trail. It was mostly old growth manzanita that was long dead and on top of that trees had grown up through it and grew together so much it was very difficult to get through. A chainsaw and a hatchet got me through. Here is an example of what I'm dealing with:
Trail before.jpeg
And here it is after cleaning up:
Trail after.jpg
Mind you, this trail was not planned out, I just looked around to find a "lesser of the evils" path and went with it. I also try to leave any live tree (manzanita excluded). This took me over 10 hours to complete the entire trail and the kids can ride the whole thing in about 45 seconds on the quad.

I'm glad I got a tractor!

I cleared a space for a non-running RV that I towed up there. While I didn't think to take pictures, I did think to cut an escape path in case I couldn't get the tractor out once the RV was in place. Aaaand it was a good decision! I cut a beautiful, wide trail, and chipped up the brush in a total of 3 hours. I can't wait to get the opportunity to get the tractor down in the bottom and cut some trails closer to the redwoods.

Once I can get back to work, I'll be making a place to place a shipping container, making more quad trails, clearing areas just to be able to walk through and making a 200-300 yard shooting range (I'll make it as long as I can anyway). Until then, I suppose y'all can expect to see me piping in where I feel my minimal knowledge may be of some value.

Oh, and thanks for the wealth of knowledge I have already gleened from this site!

Kevin

/ Here's why I bought a tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN and this forum Noob. Now I wonder why a few of your great pics do a 180 degree rotate when opened. Anyhow - you ARE getting a good start on a permanent road.
Your Ford 1710 is the exact same tractor as my first one. A very large frame tractor for its HP rating and a very capable unit. Mine was 4WD and I kept it for 27 years until I upgraded to my new 2009 Kubota M6040.

Looks like your 40 is a real piece of Heaven. Just go slow and be careful with your new tractor. If the pending action looks to be questionable - it most likely is - find another way to accomplish the task. Read your Owners Manual - cover to cover and with understanding. Don't have an Owners Manual - your local Ford dealer can easily get one for you. Don't understand what they are attempting to communicate to you in the manual - you are now in good company - just post any questions on TBN for an educated response.

/ Here's why I bought a tractor #3  
Looks and sound peaceful and great place to enjoy seat time. :thumbsup:

/ Here's why I bought a tractor
Oosik, thanks for the encouragement. I too think the 1710 is a good tractor, mine is a 4x4 also. I do have the owners manual for both tractor and FEL. I bought from the original owner. This tractor, his house/property, his 20 year old chassis cab truck, all were immaculate. He gave me several filters to go with the tractor as well as 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid. I looked at several tractors before buying this one, definitely felt good about it. I have a loooong way to go before I expect to get into uneven terrain. By that time I hope to be more proficient on the machine.

/ Here's why I bought a tractor #5  
Welcome noob! Nothing like having a place like "your place".. Your adventure will certainly need the tractor you bought so good choice! I did the same thing in land purchase 3 years ago. First thing I realized was that I needed a good chainsaw, grapple and skidding winch. It made clearing the homsite easy. Well, not easy but easier and less expensive than hiring someone to do it.

Enjoy!

/ Here's why I bought a tractor #6  
Well - after 27 years of really tough use out here on the 80 I can say that that model Ford is one really well built unit. The ONLY problem I ever had - one year the 3-point hydraulics got the "jitters" Raising/lowering the 3-point would go in tiny, rapid, incremental steps. I think, some how, there was air in the hydraulics. So I opened the raise/lower speed knob wide open and cycles the 3-point, at least, 100 time. The 3-point system finally gave up and went back to normal operation.