Hesston Swather

/ Hesston Swather #1  

PROFarms

Silver Member
Tractor
International 444, Yanmar YM169d, Cub Cadet
image-handler.ashx.jpeg
Hi, I posted this earlier in a different place but i realised i posted in the wrong place, so here goes

I'm looking at purchasing a hesston 6400 swather. Here in the UK, swathers are very difficult to come by.

I have a few questions about this one though as its not got a header on it that I've ever seen on one before. Looks more like a rape header for a combine than a header i can cut grass with. Have attached an image so hopefully someone may be able to answer the question, can i cut grass with this header, or would i need to buy a new one. This leads me on to the next question. How easy to come by would a new header for one of these be?

Many Thanks

/ Hesston Swather #2  
Not sure of the end arrangement. Does it have canvases for gathering? that is what I grew up with. I am used to something that would slice through the grass on the ends and a five bat reel.

/ Hesston Swather #3  
Can't tell for sure from your picture but the ends appear to be verticals sickles intended to cut vineyard crops, canola for instance. In 2014 I grew field peas and they tangled bad on the dividers bending one divider so bad I needed to torch it off and rebuild for thus season. I understand these are the end cutters that will handle the situation but are not easy to find. For your application they are an unnecessary complicated addition. Can't see how the rest of the swather looks but I assume from the end cutters and your location it was used for canola. In America we used to use draper heads for seed crops and auger heads for hay although we rarely see a swather used for hay in our part of the country anymore.

/ Hesston Swather #4  
In America we used to use draper heads for seed crops and auger heads for hay although we rarely see a swather used for hay in our part of the country anymore.

What do they use - Mocos?

I see more and more self propelled swathers being used for hay but they have conditioners. Some have disc cutters and augers but some have canvasses. I never understood the popularity of the hydraswings - you have so much better view with the self-propelled.

/ Hesston Swather #5  
The one you have pictured would be set up for rape in Europe with those side knives . They will cut grass but not well. Only Hesston swather I've had is my current one but i'm not very familiar with the older ones .

Attachments

• IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    602.9 KB · Views: 240
   / Hesston Swather
The one you have pictured would be set up for rape in Europe with those side knives . They will cut grass but not well. Only Hesston swather I've had is my current one but i'm not very familiar with the older ones .
Would this get plugger up the way a sickle mower does in thick hay?

/ Hesston Swather #7  
Would this get plugger up the way a sickle mower does in thick hay?

We have sickle type haybines that are fine in any grass but yes swathers will hang up in the guards . I find this type of Hesston head with double knife drive is the worst as the knives overlap in the middle creating a particular problem spot .