Hey Soundguy... John Deere B

/ Hey Soundguy... John Deere B #1  

g42guy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, '55 Farmall Cub, '57 Ford 640
Hey Soundguy, hope all is well with you. I think I saw somewhere that you had a JD B?

If so, how do you like it? I'm kinda looking at a '51. (love the sound of those old poppers). Anything to watch out for? Any info you can give me would be great.

Happy holidays!!
Guy

/ Hey Soundguy... John Deere B #2  
Yep.. I have a 50.

I like it.. it looks nice.. but not a worker. Mine has the powertroll rock shafts.. but no lift arms.

Things to consider:

Yours will have electric start as it is a 48 and up. Genny will be about a 7 amp capacity... In other words.. with two headlights, you can actually run the battery dead running the lights at night. ( how much do you run at night though? )

As long as it is in decent condition, it should start fairly easilly.

It is hand clutch... ya gotta be comfortable with that or ya can get hurt, as it will move down the road pretty good. late models had the 6spd tranny.

Steering gear is sometimes leaky and dry. Recomendation is to open up and repack with 0# grease.

No thermostat, or water pump.. it is all thermosyphon.

Yours will probably be just a gas model.. the all-fuel ones were earlier models.

I got mine cause I wanted a 'trike'.

That steer and turn around real good.. you can almost drive in a circle pivoting on a rear wheel.

Soundguy

/ Hey Soundguy... John Deere B #3  
my dad has 3 farmall B tractors the first one he bought we restored it and put the extra seat on it, if you look at the farmall B with the offset the other side has the same mounting holes as the side that has the seat so all you need to do is find another set of seat brackets and a seat and you got a 2 seater for you and your better half that let's you have all those big boy toys.it's always good if you can get her involved,then you mught be able to get away with a little more than if she's not.