hi lift jack tips and tricks?

/ hi lift jack tips and tricks? #71  
Keep the release mechanisms lubed. Everything else is Darwin type stuff.

/ hi lift jack tips and tricks? #73  
And discard it when the pins get worn and won't slide easily over into the mast. In some modes there is only weak spring pressure to slide them over. I had two yard-sale Hi-Lifts and got rid of the worn-out one after too many scares.

/ hi lift jack tips and tricks? #77  
Your land plane is very similar to what what we used for 10 years to maintain out stretch of gravel road.
We pulled it with an old willis jeep and used small tires between lengths of chain to act as shock absorbers.
Those rigs do a great job cutting down the bumps and filling in the dips.
The secret is the angle blades as it moves the material sideways to fill the voids.

A hint 4 U,
Shorten the trailing ends of the 2 angled blades so as to keep the material within the range of the next blade.

/ hi lift jack tips and tricks? #78  
Your land plane is very similar to what what we used for 10 years to maintain out stretch of gravel road.

The secret is the angle blades as it moves the material sideways to fill the voids.

Shorten the trailing ends of the 2 angled blades so as to keep the material within the range of the next blade.
Yes! I wanted the blades laid out as you described, but for this trial prototype I bolted through existing holes. It levels beautifully but it also deposits a little ridge of material out beyond the leveled area. Now I'll set it up so the material spilled off the trailing end of the first angled blade is captured by the leading edge of the second blade. Then weld it up.

Tires in the pull chain to absorb shock? Why? I assume this would climb over any irregularity anticipated in a roadway.

Last edited:
   / hi lift jack tips and tricks? #79  
I have a Hi-Lift jack. It's very handy. Almost indispensable when it is needed. I bought the Hi-Lift foot base and that helps with stability. Used it most recently to raise the trailer to change a flat. Pulled fence posts with it. Even pulled some small trees out of the ground. Raised corners of buildings. Stretched wire once but it wasn't that great because of the weight. I have several sizes of bottle jacks and a couple screw jacks. The Hi-Lift jack does some things better than any others. I compared the off brand look-a-like to the Hi-Lift and paid a little more for the Hi-Lift. Don't regret it.

Good thread. Good advice.

/ hi lift jack tips and tricks? #80  
Use it to move something heavy or get unstuck:

Hi-Lift-Winch-Full.jpg

Lots of ideas here: 13 of the Best Hi-Lift Accessories to Make a Better Jack- Roundforge