Hill type 40 acres tractor and backhoe?

/ Hill type 40 acres tractor and backhoe? #11  
You need a mid size track loader (high lift). There is no more valuable tool then a TL when developing land. It has all the power you need to dig, rip up stumps, grade land/roads and move earth

/ Hill type 40 acres tractor and backhoe? #12  
Yep, that was my original intent (use loader/backhoe during construction then sell it)

It has come in SO handy that I just can't get rid of it. Example: I've got to be one of the last roads the county will check and clear during snow storms or wind storms for fallen trees/branches. I might be able to handle the small branches but we've had several times where a tree uproots and of course, falls directly across the road. Instead of getting the saw out and cutting up the tree (making me very late for work) OR worse, waiting for the county to get here.... I just fire up the hoe & push it aside. Other than the drive to the tree and home, the pushing of the tree is usually the shortest part of the project.

Heck, I could literally give my JCB away and for what we've accomplished with it, come out financially ahead.

/ Hill type 40 acres tractor and backhoe? #13  
Other than the pond a variety of tractors will suit your need. How fast you wish to accomplish the tasks involved is about the only criteria you have.

/ Hill type 40 acres tractor and backhoe? #14  
I agree 100% with Jeff. I think you need a 40 to 50 hp machine. Clearing land and making a pond needs to be contracted out to those with heavy machinery. I have a 26 hp 2000# cut now and it's fine for mowing around the house and pulling a light duty brush cutter, but it's no farm tractor and I think you need a farm tractor.

/ Hill type 40 acres tractor and backhoe?
So I have been talking to a few different dealerships and it looks like I can swing a 35hp TLB. I visited a Kubota and Deere dealer I'm looking at $29,500 for the Deere and $28,000 for the Kubota. The added cost of going to the 35hp from 25hp was a $1,100 difference. The 40hp is quite a bit more and larger framed tractor. I wouldn't be able to transport the 40hp or bigger tractor as needed on my current trailer.

I won't attempt the pond and leave it to the pro's. The trails on the other hand I will tackle myself, it isn't a big deal as most of what I have done already was done using my ATV. A tractor would make this a lot easier and faster.

I tried a track loader on our property and the hills were too much for it, it was very tippy with the short "wheel base" and wanted to ride on the bucket on the way down the hill. I assume you are referring to a tracked skid steer. Although they are handy I don't think it is going to work for what I need to do in my price range.

You guys convinced me I definitely needed more tractor. I'll be looking into 35hp tractors. Might try to rent a TLB to see if it will work for what I need.

/ Hill type 40 acres tractor and backhoe?
I will add that later down the road I will be buying another larger tractor this one is out of necessity for what I need to accomplish in the next 5 years. The wife and I have a 5 year plan of new barn, concrete driveway, fixing up the current garage into the workshop, and clearing overgrown brush for food plots and fields. Our budget is the most limiting factor with this purchase.

/ Hill type 40 acres tractor and backhoe? #17  
I also dont see digging a 2acre pond and being light around the yard being the same machine.

Have you thought about having your property select logged and then useing the trails they used for furter development?

I find my mini excavator to be very handy for building trails on slopes. Remove small trees and stack them off the side then dig from the high side and put it on the low side. Never having to change directions, buckets or anything. It lacks in pulling power and travel speed.