Homemade, prefab, concrete and pine post

/ Homemade, prefab, concrete and pine post #41  
I poured a small sacrete base (no more than 12x12x9") with a foundation bolt set in pour. I placed a cut loblolly pine log maybe 8"Dia at base x maybe 9ft tall, skinned of bark on pad and fixed to bolt with a simple angle used in deck building, mainly just to hold in place. And continued my temporary cover for a 20ft travel trailor used as a hunting cabin. This pole was an 'interior' component not exposed directly to weather although it is an open shed type shelter. 25 YEARS AGO. It still supports and holds steady as intended. and feels as solid as the day I built it. I had intended it to be a very temporary structure that has actually stood since the mid-90s and has not been in use for 20 years but stores much junk and keeps it dry, no leaks. The perimeter was supported by 4x4 treated posts in the same type sacrete 'footers'. The pine post is not directly connected to earth, it sits on the concrete pad.
Depending on your expectations, a pine post will be fine in most non-inspection, non-critical situations from what I have learned. I'll post photos when I get back out there later this weekend. As you know, even tho a hurricane or tornado is highly unlikely (I am kinda near Augusta in SC), any pole building is suspect to splinters if hit directly, professionally built or built as a temp until proper lumber $$ settle out.

/ Homemade, prefab, concrete and pine post #42  
Yeah, like you we also have snow loads, and a standard pole-barn is just a non-starter. We need roughly one square foot of footing for every 40 square feet of roof, a wooden post just isn't going to provide that. Once you have to pour footings a lot of the allure of a pole barn goes away.
Were in a heave snow zone..north idaho. Pole buildings galore here. I have 2 myself. One is 23 years old, the other about 12 years old. Both holding up amazingly well. Why do you think snow would hurt a standard pole structure?

/ Homemade, prefab, concrete and pine post #43  
Yeah, like you we also have snow loads, and a standard pole-barn is just a non-starter. We need roughly one square foot of footing for every 40 square feet of roof, a wooden post just isn't going to provide that. Once you have to pour footings a lot of the allure of a pole barn goes away.
Morton Buildings (they build pole barns extensively in your area) used only 2 - 40 lb. bags of dry Sackrete in the bottom of each hole, for my 36' x 48' building, built East of you, 37 years ago.
The building is still plumb and level.

/ Homemade, prefab, concrete and pine post #44  
Is that a requirement for pole-barns, or residential homes?

/ Homemade, prefab, concrete and pine post #45  
My pole building is designed for a 65psf snow load (3400’ elevation, north of Spokane, WA). The pressure treated 6x8 posts are set in 36” diameter x 4’ deep augered holes filled with a 5 sack footing mix.

Looked very hard at the perma columns but just couldn’t justify the added cost relative to the length of time a pressure treated post will last in the fairly dry climate here.

/ Homemade, prefab, concrete and pine post
I poured a small sacrete base (no more than 12x12x9") with a foundation bolt set in pour. I placed a cut loblolly pine log maybe 8"Dia at base x maybe 9ft tall, skinned of bark on pad and fixed to bolt with a simple angle used in deck building, mainly just to hold in place. And continued my temporary cover for a 20ft travel trailor used as a hunting cabin. This pole was an 'interior' component not exposed directly to weather although it is an open shed type shelter. 25 YEARS AGO. It still supports and holds steady as intended. and feels as solid as the day I built it. I had intended it to be a very temporary structure that has actually stood since the mid-90s and has not been in use for 20 years but stores much junk and keeps it dry, no leaks. The perimeter was supported by 4x4 treated posts in the same type sacrete 'footers'. The pine post is not directly connected to earth, it sits on the concrete pad.
Depending on your expectations, a pine post will be fine in most non-inspection, non-critical situations from what I have learned. I'll post photos when I get back out there later this weekend. As you know, even tho a hurricane or tornado is highly unlikely (I am kinda near Augusta in SC), any pole building is suspect to splinters if hit directly, professionally built or built as a temp until proper lumber $$ settle out.

Would love to see pics, if it's not too much effort.

/ Homemade, prefab, concrete and pine post #47