Honda Water Pump

/ Honda Water Pump #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not tractor related except it is used to support farm/ranch activities with the tractor.
I have a Honda Water pump used on a water trailer. High volume medium pressure 80 gpm 75 psi.
I went out to do a water transfer procedure.
Started right up ran for 2 minutes and died, then would not start. After sitting 15-20 minutes it would run and same thing happened. After the third time (yes maybe I am a bit slow) of this happening I thought tank vent. Loosened the cap while it was running no issue. Let it run 30 minutes no issue, tightened the cap and several minutes later it dies.

Here is the question. Can you clean these Honda Engine caps or is it not worth it and just buy a new one. The cap looks perfectly normal outside but the inside has some mild corrosion from moisture it seems. Presume the outside vents are the two holes at the outer circumference on the inside of the cap but located outside the seal area and the hole in the center is the tank vent.

Any ideas how to clean it or just junk it and pay Honda their ridiculous price.
Thanks
20210912_150634.jpg

/ Honda Water Pump #2  
Not a Honda but I had a similar problem when I built a woodsplitter using a Princess Auto (Honda clone) engine. I just loosen the cap a notch when I'm running it and close it when I'm done, built it over 6 years ago and never had a problem.........Mike

/ Honda Water Pump #3  
Should be a air path from both outer holes into center hole...

Remove rubber gasket and see if inner part will detach from outer part... Or try something like carb cleaned into one of two outer holed and plug one hole and try high pressure air into other hole.... WEAR FACE SHIELD to prevent carb cleaner blown into face....

Or do the unthinkable.... Drill 1/16 hole through top by going through inner center hole.... BUT if left out side it may let rain water in...

/ Honda Water Pump #4  
Heck, simply drill a hole in that cap so that it can breathe.
That's if you U don't want to spring for a new cap.

/ Honda Water Pump #5  
Not tractor related except it is used to support farm/ranch activities with the tractor.
I have a Honda Water pump used on a water trailer. High volume medium pressure 80 gpm 75 psi.
I went out to do a water transfer procedure.
Started right up ran for 2 minutes and died, then would not start. After sitting 15-20 minutes it would run and same thing happened. After the third time (yes maybe I am a bit slow) of this happening I thought tank vent. Loosened the cap while it was running no issue. Let it run 30 minutes no issue, tightened the cap and several minutes later it dies.

Here is the question. Can you clean these Honda Engine caps or is it not worth it and just buy a new one. The cap looks perfectly normal outside but the inside has some mild corrosion from moisture it seems. Presume the outside vents are the two holes at the outer circumference on the inside of the cap but located outside the seal area and the hole in the center is the tank vent.

Any ideas how to clean it or just junk it and pay Honda their ridiculous price.
ThanksView attachment 713180
How old is the engine and what model? If it's newer it most likely has a separate tank vent and charcoal canister, if so the canister can become saturated if overfilled or the vent can get blocked by insects.

That little bit corrosion on the cap is pretty normal with ethanol fuels, I wouldn't worry about it.

/ Honda Water Pump #6  
If you can find older cap from older engines they fit and avoid this problem

/ Honda Water Pump #7  
I think Piloon - post#4 - has the answer. I've had a Honda trash pump for 13 years now. No problems.

/ Honda Water Pump
I think Piloon - post#4 - has the answer. I've had a Honda trash pump for 13 years now. No problems.
Yes unfortunatley I think a new cap is the right answer. I can't get it to free up the vent. It is blocked somewhere I can't see. Drilling a hole throguth the top is not a good idea unless I want water in the fuel supply.

/ Honda Water Pump #9  
I have 3 new honda engines. The fist thing that gets done to them is new old style tank caps. Zero problems

/ Honda Water Pump
I have 3 new honda engines. The fist thing that gets done to them is new old style tank caps. Zero problems
What is a old style cap. Any pictures or part numbers to find one of those?