hours

/ hours #11  
If your hour meter is built into your tach, and it only has a speedometer type cable and no wires (except for a light), then it is mechanical. If it is external to the tach, and/or has 2 or more wires, then it is probably electric.
The mechanical types are basically the same as an odometer, calibrated (geared) to count 1 after a defined number of revolutions. That number of revolutions is calculated to be the number that would occur during a 1 hour period at a defined rpm (normal PTO speed).

/ hours #12  
I kinda like the electric hour meter myself. Since no one has there tractor sitting with the key on (without it running), it is a fairly true indication of how many hours the engine has run. T

Billy

/ hours #13  
<font color=blue>"Since no one has there tractor sitting with the key on (without it running), it is a fairly true indication of how many hours the engine has run.</font color=blue>
On the other hand, my Kubota B6100 will run just fine with the key in my pocket so I guess the hour meter could be made to seriously under indicate the actual number of engine hours. I don't think the reverse could happen (i.e. the meter running if you leave the key in after shutting down the tractor) because I'm pretty sure that the hour meter is powered by the generator (dynamo) not the battery.

/ hours #14  
I don't understand your post Bill. You don't need to have the ignition on for your tractor to run?

As far as tampering with the hours. That's no big deal, if that's what a person wants to do. Wouldn't matter which kind of hour meter it had.

Billy

/ hours #15  
<font color=blue>"You don't need to have the ignition on for your tractor to run?"</font color=blue>

Nope. Diesel needs no electricity to keep running. The only electrical use on my tractor with the key in the "run" position is the hour meter, and/or if I have my headlights on, beep the horn or the oil pressure drops and the warning light comes on.

You're right about the dishonest person...

/ hours #16  
Not true on all tractors. On mine, turning off the key does not kill the engine. You must shut off the throttle. Unfortunately, you can shut off the throttle and kill the engine and forget to turn off the key. If you don't notice and leave it that way, it will run down the battery. Don't ask how I know. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ hours #17  
I see what you're talking about now Bill, sorry. Mine has an electric fuel solenoid, so you have to use the ignition to start and stop the engine.

By the way, about the electric hour meter. On my tractor, with the key on and engine not running, the hour meter does not advance. So I reckon you're right about it working off the alternator.

/ hours #18  
BILL: on my 98 b2400, if i shut the key off the engine quits and the lights go out the only thing that will work with key in the off position are the flashers. now my buddies b8200 is a whole differt breed. it don't need the key in the on position to run.

/ hours
Thanks to everyone that reponded. You guys are fast. Like I said before lots of great info being shared here I appreciate it.