How about a 2020

/ How about a 2020 #1  

busshman

Tractor
John Deere 1010 RU
Ok, for those of you not following my search, I have a 1010 with an industrial loader. looking to upgrade for more gearing options and a little heavier 3pt (my 3t backhoe is almost too much for the 1010). I went and looked at a 2040 but it was a little rough, and did not have the options that my 1010 has so I felt I would be going backwards. (the 1010 has independent 2sp pto , rear hydraulics, Flotation front tires, new rear tires and the industrial loader that is not just a sheetmetal bucket and it goes up right around 118 to 120") Then I called on a David Brown 990 but found out it only had the 6 sp with 2 reverse and the first gear was almost the same as the 1010. So now I am looking at 1971 JD2020. 4cyl diesel, rear remotes. heavier bucket newer rear tires,independent pto (540 only) model 48 loader. He said it has 4700 hours on it. My concerns are he said it does have a little blue smoke out the exhaust and that the loader when pressed down won't pick the front of the tractor up. he said if he rolls the bucket it will though. Any thoughts?

Thank You

Busshman

Also I do really appreciate the time you people take answering my posts.

/ How about a 2020 #2  
2020 has closed center hyd's so you will have to change BH control valve if you want to operate your BH on 2020. 48 loader is a farm type loader not intended for industrial type use.

/ How about a 2020
The Backhoe is not an issue. I run it off of a pto pump anyway. But thanks for the info. I completely missed the closed center hydraulics on Tractor Data. And on the loader if it is a farm type it won't be able to lift the front of the tractor. I don't use the loader in an industrial type use, but I do move rock and dirt around, and do a lot of lifting with my loader. Thats why I didn't want one with the light sheet metal bucket. What about the diesel engine? Do these engines smoke a little or is it starting to have some blowby.

Busshman

/ How about a 2020 #4  
While a 2020 diesel may not be ideal for your use as equipped it is one of my all time favorites from the past. Just a good basic tractor capable of alot of work on small acreage properties imo. I would like to find one in good condition in my locale if I buy another open station tractor.

I rebuilt the 4 cylinder engine in my 450 dozer years ago, wasn't a hard or difficult project to install new pistons and liners. If the price is right you might consider this when making an offer.

/ How about a 2020 #5  
Is it possible the loader would not lift the front because the lift cylinders ran out of travel?
I am not sure about the 2020, but my 2030 has a heavy duty front axle for loader use. The "knees" to axle bolt on with two rows of bolts vs a single row. I think you would want that option.
My 2030 has a lot of blowby out the vent and does smoke a little. 3900 hours.

/ How about a 2020
Thanks a lot guys! I think I will go look at this one. It has the gearing I want and sounds pretty good when I talked to him on the phone. He sounds like he is pretty picky on his tractors. He thought maybe the swash plate might need a little adjustment. If I take a hydraulic gauge with me, how can I check the pressure on this closed center system. I know how to check relief valve pressure on my remotes on my 1010

Busshman

/ How about a 2020 #7  
Just plug in a remote and check the pressure the same way as an open system

/ How about a 2020 #8  
Just plug in a remote and check the pressure the same way as an open system

Agreed. I think the 2020 will use the old JD style male quick coupler to connect your gauge.

/ How about a 2020 #9  
Agreed. I think the 2020 will use the old JD style male quick coupler to connect your gauge.

Yes you're correct JD went back to ISO tips/couplers on the 50 series.