How do I show .JPG's on a DVD player???

/ How do I show .JPG's on a DVD player??? #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
How do I show .JPG\'s on a DVD player???

For Christmas, I'm trying to set up a DVD player for 95 year old Mom so people can send her photos on CD-R. Obviously this has to be simple, she isn't much for technology. (She doesn't have a PC, I tried that back in the 8086 era and she couldn't get the hang of it then.)

I tried a simple DVD player that feeds to the TV. It plays DVD's fine but jpg's are so blurry its useless. I took it back.

Then I bought a DVD player with its own 9 inch display screen. It's barely aceptable with its low resolution (320 x 240?).

However I don't see how to make the jpgs fill its screen even though they are far larger, 2048 x 1536 and up. Do they need to be a perfect multiple of the little guy's screen, or reformatted to its native resolution, or what? Does anyone know what resolution these DVD players use? It's not specified on the box or in the manual. These present pictures use about half of the display's pixels.

To clarify the parameters: The playback device has to be extremely simple which rules out a pc or entertainment center type of player. This little DVD player is about right to match Mom's expertise but the display quality is both poor, and unacceptably small.

I'm guessing someone has solved this problem before. Any advice would be appreciated.

/ How do I show .JPG's on a DVD player??? #2  
Re: How do I show .JPG\'s on a DVD player???

How about something like this?

You'd have to get them on a memory card, though.

I'm sure there are other options, this came to me quickly, though.

Have a good one,
Neil.

/ How do I show .JPG's on a DVD player??? #4  

We have a couple of 3-4 year old DVD players. If you throw in a CD that has JPEGs on them, they just start playing them automatically. They look fine and are automatically sized to the screen. The only problems occur when the picture is rotated 90 degrees. Then we have to use the DVD remote to flip them. Had we flipped them before we burned the CD, that would have been unnecessary. We load the CD with the pictures in their original, high resolution form. That is, the camera takes them at its highest resolution and we do nothing to decrease that.

Maybe the problem with blurry pictures is that they have been compressed to a lower resolution before they were put on the CD?

/ How do I show .JPG's on a DVD player???

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How about something like this?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/7e13/
-ShaleniFarm )</font>
That's what I need in terms of a simple user interface, but the memory card storage is a limitation. I need one capable of playing CD-R's so various family members will send her pictures.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is there a menu on the player you can adjust it with? -Holzster)</font>
Not on the one I got.
http://www.18002526123.com/findit/pvs10921top.htm
($149 at Target).
It's a little *too* simple - filenames limited to 6 characters, no menus available in .jpg mode, no controls available beyond the play, pause, previous frame buttons.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We load the CD with the pictures in their original, high resolution form. ... Maybe ... they have been compressed to a lower resolution before they were put on the CD? -MossRoad )</font>
No, like you I made the test CD with original camera images, 0.5 to 1.5 mb filesize each, unedited. They look fine on my 21" PC monitor then don't fill this player's 9" display.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

I'll go to Fry's today and see if their models are better.

Any more suggestions on what to look for?