How do you bend Titanium sheet metal?

/ How do you bend Titanium sheet metal?
BTW, the titanium cookie sheet is working great. It is hard to get something to stick to it. I guess I sanded it enough.

Maybe I should market them. High performance cookie sheets. $$$ ka ching

/ How do you bend Titanium sheet metal?
If I made another, I would make it with thinner sheet and do what someone (above) mentioned putting about a 60 degree bend on both long edges.

/ How do you bend Titanium sheet metal? #43  
From SR 71 Blackbirds to cookie sheets to tractors- is this a great forum or what??!

/ How do you bend Titanium sheet metal? #45  
Bertsmobile, I gotta search for Youtube videos of high energy rate deformation forming! Sounds interesting.

If you have some space where you can make things go bang without the place getting swamped with police, troopers & ant-terrorism agencies then it can be a lot of fun.
Down here now we have gun restrictions any time a car backfires here a dozen squad cars despatched to investigate.
If you have ever ridden a motorcycle and dropped it you will have noticed the cast levers often bend , but if you try to bend then yourself they will snap. They bent because they got hit with a massive force.
The rig we had at school was a tube of tool steel about 5" diameter & 3/4 " thick with ends bolted on with around 20 or so bolts.

You will also hear it called explosive forming which is one specific type of HERD.
There are a couple of books in the Engineering Yellow Handbook Series and it rival the Green Book series you will most likely find then in technical libraries

/ How do you bend Titanium sheet metal? #46  
Someone needs to make some SR-71 cookies... better eat them as soon as they come out of the oven because....

they'll be gone fast! :licking:

/ How do you bend Titanium sheet metal? #47  
Does anyone know how hot?

Anything above 600f using a torch/rosebud will contaminate the Ti.
When welding the entire length of weld must be shielded with Argon till it
Cools to 600f or below to not contaminate the weld.
If not every color that the Ti becomes is a level of contamination.
Straw color is acceptable in my experience when welding for a fabrication shop in times past.
When not done properly it becomes brittle.
FYI.......
The other posts are correct with bend radius but heat will or should allow tighter bends.
As previuos post stated Ti will burn if in shaving/steel wool form Ti is a reactive metal meaning it will ignite
In proper form.
I have witnessed some bad fires with Ti.
Zirconium will do the same, Im not sure about Ti but Zirc is a regulated material,
can or is used in bomb making.
A shop I worked at had some stolen, FBI were quick to show up to investigate.