How do you not pop your hydraulic line?

/ How do you not pop your hydraulic line? #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
The specific hydraulic line I am talking about is the hydraulic line that is connected to you FEL bucket tilt.

(Jim and I have been discussing this in the safety thread but since this has become an operating issue I have moved it here.)

Answers:

1. Do not have the bucket tilted and push against an object hard enough that the tires loose traction.

2. If you do #1 then have the bucket tilt joystick control activated so the pressure relief valve will take care of the extra force the tractor is putting on the hydraulic system.

3. Have an in line hydraulic relief valve installed on the bucket tilt line that will activate no matter which position the joystick is in.

#3 brings me to the questions I need to answer.

A. Is there any harm done to the FEL if an in-line relief valve is installed?

B. What pressure should the relief valve be?

C. Where can I get the relief valve?

Thanks for any help! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How do you not pop your hydraulic line? #2  
I think that you are worried about something that is not a problem at all. Adding a relief valve at a lower pressure thnt what is there would produce most negative results. The engineering takes all this into account.

I don't know how much your tractor weighs, but assume 5,000# and you could push twice your weight (which I doubt) and you only had one cylinder, I doubt you could push hard enough to get to normal relief pressure. But you have 2 cylinders which halves the force.

Yes there is big lever on the loader. If you want to get a feel for the forces, look up your cylinder diameters and your system's hydraulic pressure. This will tell you how many thousand pounds per cylinder your system is applying. Want to take it further, measure your loader fulcrum a compute those forces. You will see very quickly that it is difficult.

I hope I am understanding your scenario. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How do you not pop your hydraulic line?
<font color="blue">"... Remember too, back dragging with your bucket or pushing forward with the bucket down will add many thousands of pounds of pressure to the hydraulic system. With my 6000 PSI gauge on my bucket dump circuit, I can very easily watch that gauge peg itself at 6000 PSI. In the forward motion that hammering with the bucket in the dump position, it's just a matter of time before something breaks. A hydraulic line would be my preference." -RaT </font>

I was think of adding a relief valve at the upper end close to line rupture around 5000 psi. Does that seem logical??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ How do you not pop your hydraulic line? #4  
For some reason I'd think all the engineering put into the loader would take into account all the pressures and relief settings. Being able to break a line should not be normal.

I'd suggest that some inferior materials were used in the original construction.

Egon

/ How do you not pop your hydraulic line? #5  
Your system relief pressure should be below the bursting strenght of your whole system, including the hoses.

I think you are worrying about nothing, but that just my opinion. Your FEL/Tractor design should have taken all this into consideration. Any relief values you add probably won't do much for you, except make you feel better and it might degrade your performance.

My two cents.
Ron

/ How do you not pop your hydraulic line? #6  
All of the high pressure lines have the"safety factor" build in to them . If your line is rated for 3000psi, it should handle momentary pressure burst up to 4500psi. Hope this helps...
Cheers

/ How do you not pop your hydraulic line? #7  
I've replaced all four of those "short" lines.. though only 4years + old.. the hoses showed wear. The operations at the time were pushing.. or back draging. Haven't had the any problems w/ the new lines.

/ How do you not pop your hydraulic line? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Your system relief pressure should be below the bursting strenght of your whole system, including the hoses.

I think you are worrying about nothing, but that just my opinion. Your FEL/Tractor design should have taken all this into consideration. Any relief values you add probably won't do much for you, except make you feel better and it might degrade your performance.

My two cents.
Ron )</font>

I agree. Unless a problem with the lines being manufactured or installed incorrectly this is just not a problem to worry about.

Andy

/ How do you not pop your hydraulic line? #9  
I think you just had some bad lines. I would not worry about this at all.