How far can you run water with a hose?

/ How far can you run water with a hose? #11  
i ran 1/2 inch pvc roughly 1000 feet no problem at all and cheaper than water hoses

That is very helpful to know. If I were to try to go 1600 feet, do you think 1/2 inch would be okay, or should I try 1 inch?

/ How far can you run water with a hose? #12  
That is very helpful to know. If I were to try to go 1600 feet, do you think 1/2 inch would be okay, or should I try 1 inch?
We ran our city water about 2000' through 1" 200 lb test pvc. It is slightly downhill. It has served us well for 46 years. Runs 60-70 pressure.

/ How far can you run water with a hose? #13  
A hose will supply a moderate drip system at those distances. Black plastic pipe is probably a better choice for cost reasons. When you turn the water on, it will take quite some time to build pressure up, but friction loss is only a function of distance, diameter and flow. So long as you keep your flow to a minimum, then you can get by with a small diameter pipe.

Fire Captain here; this dude knows what he is talking about. Our job is flowing water through hoses. Most farmers use 1 inch black hdpe pipe around here, usually referred to as Driscoll line. If you are thinking about running a garden hose the full 500 feet, I would pony up and buy five lengths of 3/4 contractor hose versus the 5/8 garden hose most people buy. At 500 feet that extra 1/8 diameter will reduce your friction loss and increase your flow.

/ How far can you run water with a hose? #14  
If it were me, 1 would use 3/4 or 1 inch. 100 lb rated black plastic pipe. First it would be cheaper two you will have less flow loss do to friction three less joints equal less places to leak if you look around you may find a 500 ft roll. One thing I didn't see anyone mentioned, in hot weather you will be getting water over 100 degrees from either black plastic or garden hoses

/ How far can you run water with a hose? #15  
I recently planted some trees that are about 500 ft from water faucet. The distance from faucet to trees is relatively flat. I have very good pressure at the faucet. Would I be able to install a drip system to water these 10 trees at this distance from the faucet?

Thanks

Here is my low cost solution to drip irrigate your trees: Get clean 20 Litre or 5 gallon pails with lids and a length of 3/8 natural fibre rope to act as a wick. You can buy new pails and lids at homedepot for under $5. Drill one 3/8 hole in the lid. Cut approximately 12 inches of rope and tie a big knot a little more than the half way point and feed the longer end from the inside of the lid out, all the way to the knot. Fill the pail with water and snap on the lid. Flip the pail upside down with the wick touching the ground at the base of the tree root ball. This pail will slowly drip irrigate your tree and will last up to about a week. Once a week refill your pails. Done. Around here one pail a week will be enough for the tree. If its really hot and dry you might need to refill twice a week.

You can buy pre-made tree watering bags that do the same job for $20/ea. Much easier and cheaper than running 500 feet of hose and drip line.

/ How far can you run water with a hose? #16  
could you put a pressure guage on your faucet to see your pressure .mine at well house is set at 45 psi

/ How far can you run water with a hose? #17  
I have run an impact head sprinkler on a 4' tripod at a distance of 500 feet with 1/2" plastic tube on a slight uphill incline. My well has a 1.5 HP pump with a 40-60 pressure switch. I could get a 60' diameter circle at full 500' distance and the 1/2" gate valve turned on full.

I cut the tube into shorter lengths to make it easier to handle and installed hose repair ends using a heat gun. I joined the sections together as needed for the distance I was watering.