How many money's?

/ How many money's? #1  

LightningCamaroGuy

Silver Member
Tractor
Would it take to make the front wheel and tire setup on my 2018 5075E, match the wheel and tire setup on this 23/24 5067E?
20220212_135639_HDR.jpg
20231215_113653.jpg

BTW, those new rear wheels look kind of funky, and less attractive than the older wheels. Why the change? They're both mounted with the same 16.9x28 tire.

EDIT: Correction. This 5067E has the optional 16.9x30 rear tire, but the standard 11.2x24 front tire. I thought optioning the 5E with the 16.9x30 rear wheel/tire was the way you got the new optional 12.4x24 front tire, and the 16.9x28 rear tire got you the 11.2x24 front tire? IDK but these 4 ply 9.5x24 front tires that used to come on these tractors are way too easy to puncture. The 6 ply rear tires haven't been an issue for me. (Knock on wood) I believe the 11.2x24 tires are also 6 ply like the 16.9x28 rear tires on my tractor?

Last edited:
   / How many money's? #2  
Ok, according to the specs I'm reading, both tractors have a mechanical front differential (connected with a drive shaft), rather than a hydraulic front differential. That means that the tire diameters should be pretty close to stock. I don't know about what you claim that one tractor has different rear tire sizes. If it is a factory option, they may have different gearing.

I'm seeing:
John Deere 5075E Tires
4WD Standard tires (ag) Front: 9.5-24. Rear: 16.9-28

John Deere 5067E Tires
4WD Standard tires (ag) Front: 11.2-24. Rear: 16.9-28

Looking at Front: 9.5-24 AG tires, Outer diameter: 41.34 to 41.6 Inches Recommended 7" to 8" rim.
Looking at Front:11.2-24 AG tires, Outer diameter: 43.5 inches. Recommended 9" to 10" rim.

So, if your tire is 2" larger in diameter, every time it goes around in a circle, it will go about 6.3 inches further.

Now, there must be some flexibility with tire sizes as a worn tire will be significantly smaller than a new tire, and if the front tire rotates faster than the rear tire, then the same amount of difference in size would be significantly more significant on the front than on the rear.

I'm seeing 8-ply tires for the 9.5-24.

I think you'll be chasing your tail if you try to go to the 11.2" wide tires. With some luck the 5067E rims would fit on the 5075E, but you'll have the tire diameter issue to deal with.

Now, I have heard that on vehicles, if there is a choice of the front wheels turning faster or slower than the rear wheels, that slightly faster than the rear improves steering. But, I don't know how that would apply to tractors.

/ How many money's? #3  
You are wanting to go to wider tires. I don't really think you would notice an improvement in traction or flotation with the slightly wider tires.

You want more traction - put fluid in your new rear tires. I use Rim Guard.

/ How many money's? #4  
I'm seeing a couple of radial tires: 280/85R24, with a diameter of 42.8. About halfway in between the bias ply 9.5 and 11.2 tires. You still may need a wider rim (for the 11.2 tire), depending on what is actually on your tractor. Recommended for a 9" or 10" wide rim.

Do you know if the outer rim bolt pattern is the same for the 5067E and 5075E?

/ How many money's? #5  
Owner's manual viewable for free online here has a whole list of permissible tire/wheel combinations:

1702792986666.png

/ How many money's?
In 2023 JD discontinued the 9.5x24, and replaced it with a 11.2x24 as standard on the 3 cylinder 5E's, with an option for a 12.4x24 tire up front if you option for the 16.9x30 rear wheel. In 2023 they also did away with the regen on the 3 cylinder 5E's and switched to a DOC instead of a DPF. A 5067E is the new 5065E with a slight HP bump. The 65-67-75 are supposed to be indicative of the HP they produce. A 5067E and a 5075E are the same tractor other than a 5075E has a little bit more HP.

/ How many money's?
BTW, in most ways my 18 is the same tractor as a new 23/24, but there are a few differences other than the front tires, and the emissions setup. Another change I noticed is the older 5E 3 cylinder tractors engage the MFWD with a lever you pull up on positioned under the seat. The new 23/24 I looked at had a button/switch you pushed on the fender mounted by the electric PTO button. So I assume the new MFWD engage is electric, where the older machine used a mechanical engagement? I wonder if now you can safely engage the MFWD on the fly instead of need to come to a stop to not damage the MFWD system?

/ How many money's? #8  
BTW, in most ways my 18 is the same tractor as a new 23/24, but there are a few differences other than the front tires, and the emissions setup. Another change I noticed is the older 5E 3 cylinder tractors engage the MFWD with a lever you pull up on positioned under the seat. The new 23/24 I looked at had a button/switch you pushed on the fender mounted by the electric PTO button. So I assume the new MFWD engage is electric, where the older machine used a mechanical engagement? I wonder if now you can safely engage the MFWD on the fly instead of need to come to a stop to not damage the MFWD system?
It will say for sure in the owner's manual viewable in the link I provided above