Buying Advice How much do year, hours, & condition affect price of a used tractor?

/ How much do year, hours, & condition affect price of a used tractor? #1  

TroyBtractor

Tractor
John Deere
Hi all,

Assuming everything else being the same (make/model & accessories),

What affects the price of a used tractor the most? Condition? Hours? Year?

What makes a tractor worth more and what makes it worth less? :listen:

How much do maintenance records matter in price?
Does rust (from scratches, scrapes, & paint chips) effect price?

Thanks,
Troy

/ How much do year, hours, & condition affect price of a used tractor? #2  
I would say your ranking is correct in that condition make the most difference, hours of use would be second and year would be last. There would be some variables though as models change and have some useful features. While maintenance records are nice I have never had them offered on used tractors and I shop mostly by condition. Rust and blemishes will lower the value but if the tractor appears to have been abused or not taken care of I would walk.

/ How much do year, hours, & condition affect price of a used tractor? #3  
Estimating Farm Machinery Costs | Ag Decision Maker provides some info on how age and hours affect tractor values.

Economists estimate "remaining value" models for used machinery. Some of those models allow for manufacturer effects, but this report ignores those effects. Also note that the report deals with ag. tractors and the results may not be applicable for CUTS and SCUTS.

Say a new utility tractor (<80 HP) costs $30k. At 1200 hours, the model predicts the tractor would be worth $13.5k if used 200 hours/year, $14.7K if used 400 hours/year, and $15k if used 600 hours/year. The marginal effects of age decrease with age.

I'm not defending the model's predictions -- I didn't estimate the equations and the author doesn't provide any details about the model's performance.

Steve

Last edited:
   / How much do year, hours, & condition affect price of a used tractor? #4  
Be wary of "NEW" paint though. Also be wary if a machine just looks too clean for its age/hours showing. A dirty tractor isn't always a bad thing, especially if it looks wells greased. An ag tractor will likely be high hours, but may not be worn out, certain transmission and engines were known to be very reliable. Some others not so much. A good test run should tell you alot especially if the motor is smoking or if the transmission wont shift properly. Homework is always key when looking at vintage machines.

/ How much do year, hours, & condition affect price of a used tractor? #5  
I agree, 1 condition, 2 hours. Year only might tell me how many hours a year use it sees. Other than that I could care less about the year.

I prefer to see honest wear vs a rattle can quickie paint job. I really hate it when they paint everything, hoses, fittings, serial number tags, wires, filters, you name it. Those I run, not walk from. Usually auctions.

I also hate to see "hack" repairs, rounded bolts or nuts, plumbing fittings on the hydraulics, this might apply more to older tractors than fairly new ones.

I don't mind seeing new tires or a new seat.

/ How much do year, hours, & condition affect price of a used tractor? #6  
My grandfather told me never buy a tractor with a fresh paint job

/ How much do year, hours, & condition affect price of a used tractor? #7  
i told the dealer what i would take for my 2010 mx5100 hst rops 4x4 fel R4 tires 250 hours.well came out an looked at it the paint was faded from sitting outside all its life.the platform was scratched up.an he deducted $200 for the faded paint.so i ended up getting like $18,600 for it.the R4 tires hurt it a little but not much.it went right from the dealers lot to a tractor wholesaler.most all trade ins go right to a tractor whole saler.

/ How much do year, hours, & condition affect price of a used tractor? #8  
i told the dealer what i would take for my 2010 mx5100 hst rops 4x4 fel R4 tires 250 hours.well came out an looked at it the paint was faded from sitting outside all its life.the platform was scratched up.an he deducted $200 for the faded paint.so i ended up getting like $18,600 for it.the R4 tires hurt it a little but not much.it went right from the dealers lot to a tractor wholesaler.most all trade ins go right to a tractor whole saler.

Sounds like you received a really good deal. What tractor did you drive away with?