How much weight can be added to disc

/ How much weight can be added to disc #41  
Your angle iron Disk Harrow will never survive 300 hours with a 360 pound supplementary load.

Why did you not buy a 1,000+ pound box frame disk harrow to begin with? There are always used disk harrows for sale at farm auctions and online.

If I add 203 pounds of weight I'd have 47 pounds per disc equivalent to a much heavier DH2572.
I've seen the DH2572 on youtube and liked how much it rips into the ground. So with less disc adding weight with sandbags I'd have the same thing.

Without doing any research I can confidently say the DH2572 is a Box Frame disk harrow made with thicker steel and welded, rather than bolted together. A box frame is two triangles united with welds.
Angle iron frames are an open 'L' with much less stress / load bearing capacity.

Harrow 560lbs as shipped, 360lbs weight added equals 46lbs per disc. Not optimal, but better than originally designed by KingKutter. Could probably add an another 90lbs to the stack(s) for 450lbs supplementary weight, but will see how 360 pounds supplementary weight works first.

Does your 560 pounds shipping weight INCLUDE A 50 POUND PALLET?

View attachment 815041

(Google) People ask:

Is angle iron as strong as square tubing?

A relatively expensive alternative at similar densities and quality, it's often beneficial to use square tubing over angle iron when you can't properly predict forces to be exerted on your structure—angle iron is far more likely to deform under forces you've failed to account for in your building than square tubing.

Bolted angle iron framing is subject to unpredictable stresses if the bolted joints are not maintained consistently tight. (Which they never are.)

Last edited:
   / How much weight can be added to disc #42  
Strength of square tubing vs angle iron all depends on the size/rating of the original material And connection types used.

/ How much weight can be added to disc #43  
Harrow 560lbs as shipped, 360lbs weight added equals 46lbs per disc. Not optimal, but better than originally designed by KingKutter. Could probably add an another 90lbs to the stack(s) for 450lbs supplementary weight, but will see how 360 pounds supplementary weight works first.

Does your 560 pounds shipping weight INCLUDE A 50 POUND PALLET?

View attachment 815041

(Google) People ask:

Is angle iron as strong as square tubing?

A relatively expensive alternative at similar densities and quality, it's often beneficial to use square tubing over angle iron when you can't properly predict forces to be exerted on your structure—angle iron is far more likely to deform under forces you've failed to account for in your building than square tubing.

Bolted angle iron framing is subject to unpredictable stresses if the bolted joints are not maintained consistently tight. (Which they never are.)
Thanks Jeff. I'm assuming you have torn up an angle iron disc frame and speak from experience regarding the addition of weight.

Not being argumentative, just learning and love to hear from people who have had experience with actually using equipment, made modifications and having found flaws through actual experience with overloading either tractor or implement.

/ How much weight can be added to disc #44  
Only made it about half way through posts; but; why not an older, larger disc; remove outside most disc, and pay less money, have a heavier duty frame, and the option to add the outsides back on?View attachment 815078
The main reason is I try to take care of my equipment and even refuse to buy from dealers who store their equipment outside and abuse the items on the lot. I order from the manufacturer and start fresh with most items.

I keep all implements out of the elements, try hard to prevent rust, and maintain the equipment as well as possible in an enclosure. I'm not a 'farmer' and only use implements on occasion for specific upkeep around my and my son's small acreage.

/ How much weight can be added to disc #45  
I have an old rusty Towner set with steel wheels that raise it up for traveling or to limit the cutting depth (good in tight turns). This is a heavy made disc. Probably as old as me. Over the years I have added steel weight but it was still too light for our clay soil once it's dry - I added a 55 gallon drum filled about 2/3rds with water and it cut like a dream. The barrel has a potential weight of 500 pounds when full.