How to bleed air from cooling system BX 2370?

/ How to bleed air from cooling system BX 2370? #1  

George the Beagle

Gold Member
Tractor
BX 2370
I've recently installed a Curtis hard cab on my BX 2370 and am about to install the heater. The instructions say after installation to refill the cooling system and "bleed all air from the system. The cooling system will not operate correctly with air present in the lines." How does one bleed the cooling system? Run the engine with the radiator cap off? Thanks...

/ How to bleed air from cooling system BX 2370? #2  
That's what I have always done when flushing a cooling system. Leave the cab heater on, radiator cap off, and let the thermostat open and close a few times.

/ How to bleed air from cooling system BX 2370? #3  
This is a question - or a suggestion if it makes sense... if it has a burp tank (I assume it does) that's intended to help purge air, and keep it out.

Maybe that's the 2nd phase: run w/the cap off and top off as needed, then with the cap back on add some to the burp tank and let it do its thing? Keep an eye on it and top up as needed.

Z.

/ How to bleed air from cooling system BX 2370? #4  
In some newer cars,, with the engine low, and the radiator low,
the upper hose is high, and becomes an impassable "air bubble",,

These need to have the hose loosened, so the air can release, or there is a fitting to release the air,,

I doubt the manual would mention this, if a similar situation was not present,,

Find the highest point in the cooling system,, work from there,,, :thumbsup:

/ How to bleed air from cooling system BX 2370? #5  
I do the same thing. I keep the radiator cap off, let it get hot, and then close it. Then top off as necessary.

Remember: Before starting any machines, ALWAYS check the fluid levels. Don't assume.

I know of people that it's cost them their jobs on construction sites.

/ How to bleed air from cooling system BX 2370? #6  
The big issue is the elevation of the cab heater core relative to the top of the radiator. If the heater core is higher, then getting it full of coolant is more involved than the typical car or light truck which will bleed using the methods suggested.system.

Where is your core?

In general terms, filling the heater core and hoses before connecting both hoses will make life easier. Use a hose pincher to seal the hoses as you fill them and until you make their final connection.

Dave M7040

/ How to bleed air from cooling system BX 2370? #8  
I have had VERY GOOD RESULTS, pulling a vacuum on the coolant filler opening. Doesn't seem to matter where the "tap" is located, high is good. The small shop vac works, and so does the Mighty-Vac brake bleeder.

Using the shop vac can result in pulling up some coolant. But that has never amounted to much.
With the Mighty-Vac, you need to devise some sort of adapter.

A good seal at the connection is required, it takes pressure change to get the trapped air to move out, not just sucking moving air across the filler.