How to fence across a slope?

/ How to fence across a slope? #1  

ustmd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27 HST
Looking for some advice. In preparation for building a commercial center, the neighbor behind us and down hill has down some aggressive clearing and knocked down almost all of the live oaks on the hill side. The live oaks provided a nice sense of privacy. As it right now you can stand in our bedroom and see down the hill (or up the hill as the case may be.

So the wife and I are talking about replacing the 4 strand barbwire fence with some type of privacy fence (maybe chain link with roses or slates) between us and the neighbor--we have planted a number of screening bushes/trees, but we are years away from them being big enough.

The concern I have is that fence would run across the slope (as opposed to up the slope). I am worried that not long after I put in posts for a fence they would start leaning down hill.

Anyone have any suggestions? We are looking at about 200 ft of fence.

/ How to fence across a slope? #2  
if you are willing to manage somewhat w/trimmer ect, have you considered planting bamboo if privacy is all you are after. yes i know, many will come back & warn of invasive issues, etc, but there's a lot of bamboo types to research on that regard... & it could be a more natural look & way of addressing your challenge. many forum members will respond with fencing ideas far outreaching my expertise. but as you are in the brainstorming mode, something to consider. in your part of the country, bamboo varieties have many different possibilities. what are the mowing options on either side of the fence? green grove bamboo could be an option.... just an idea. maybe a permanent fence is better, but lots of work, expense, & slope challenge to do it right. best of luck

/ How to fence across a slope? #3  
The best fence is a fence on level ground. You need to use a mini excavator or small dozer to cut a fence line along a slope. Vegetation will grow in no time.

That's all we have is mountain slopes around here.

/ How to fence across a slope? #4  
If you are looking for screening, I think a planting of bamboo as suggested by big bubba would look very nice and serve the purpose.

We have bamboo here - inside shopping malls - and its a beautiful tree.

/ How to fence across a slope? #5  
if you are willing to manage somewhat w/trimmer ect, have you considered planting bamboo if privacy is all you are after. yes i know, many will come back & warn of invasive issues, etc, but there's a lot of bamboo types to research on that regard... & it could be a more natural look & way of addressing your challenge. many forum members will respond with fencing ideas far outreaching my expertise. but as you are in the brainstorming mode, something to consider. in your part of the country, bamboo varieties have many different possibilities. what are the mowing options on either side of the fence? green grove bamboo could be an option.... just an idea. maybe a permanent fence is better, but lots of work, expense, & slope challenge to do it right. best of luck
Thanks Bubba... gots me thinking for my own property. I do need to do the research but I want something that fills in... doesn't get to high or spread too much. Bamboo might be the ticket if it's the right type. I have always enjoyed mature bamboo forests and they look good in certain landscapes, ponds, rivers, rocks, etc.

/ How to fence across a slope? #6  
lots of info out there. guess like any other landscaping, matter of choosing a variety suited for your growing zones. how high you want it, & of course the look. if you have the luxury of mowing where it might be invasive, really quite easy to manage. but there are also the horror stories in some cases.(buckling cement pads, foundations, etc) pays to do your homework. slopes can be a good choice for the screen....personally, i have several varieties around my various pond areas to compliment the wet areas. i manage it just as my lawn by mowing & weed eating. after all, it is a grass. just another option in the many plants used for screens. fast growing trees (or tall shrubs: juniper?)may be another op for the OP.

/ How to fence across a slope? #7  
I would consider some type of plant as well,

there is some grasses that grow up to 10 feet tall, there are fast growing popular, and wife got a garden seed catalog and it had some evergreens that say they will grow three feet a year, ( the closer to native would be best, one problem with fast growing species is that many times there short lived, so I would inter mix a fast growing and a slow growing native,

Texas Tree Selector
http://treefolks.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Tree-Growing-Guide-for-Central-Texas.pdf

Search Results | Fast Growing Trees Nursery

My two cents,

/ How to fence across a slope? #8  
guess I don't understand the question. fence posts are put in plumb. why would they lean downhills?