How to replace throttle cable?

/ How to replace throttle cable? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I put the real thread in industrial since it's an industrial machine. I don't know if other brands/machines have the same spring attachment.

How to replace throttle cable? - TractorByNet.com

Hopefully, I'm not stepping on toes 'cross posting' like this. If so... make sure you have steel toed boots on next time! :D

/ How to replace throttle cable?
I've put pictures in both threads, here is what I'm up against. There is a nut INSIDE this spring and I can't see any easy way to get it out.

:confused:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 1,018
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 813
   / How to replace throttle cable? #4  
Richard..
I see 2 ways:
First, with a large pair of side cutters (diagonal cutters) position them on the spring at the nut. The edges of the cutters will go between the coils of the spring and contact opposing sides of the nut, this will allow you to turn the threaded rod out.

Second way, is with a heavy putty knife placed through the spring so the tip is touching the threaded rod on the boot side of the enclosed nut. Now you should be able to screw the spring (clockwise) off the nut as the spring coils will expand to go around the enclosed nut. This will be the hardest of the two methods as it will be more difficult to get the nut back inside the spring for reassembly...but that is also doable KennyV

Kenny, some interesting ideas!! I like the first idea. I had conceived an idea like that but had no idea of what I could use that would be thin enough and strong enough to 'slice' through (not cut but slither) the coils of the spring. I never thought of diagnal cutters!!

I have those and some other type of wire cutters that have a strong but narrow blade.

I just hope the nut isn't as frozen onto the threads as it appears to be thus far. I soaked it with some PB blaster today. Maybe Saturday when I get to cursing at this, the PB blaster will have loosened it up a bit.

I don't think I'd like your second idea, I already tried to 'unwind' the spring around the cable (like removing a key off a key ring).

I talked to JCB today and he said they "just unscrew them" and if they have any issues, they just toss them and replace them. Seems the replacement springs have a nut already embedded inside them!!

I was a bit surprised to hear that.

/ How to replace throttle cable? #6  
Seems the replacement springs have a nut already embedded inside them!!

I'm sure it would be ...
If you can not get a good enough hold on the nut,
Then try my second method, you should be able to unscrew the spring from around the nut, turning the spring CW, I had you on the wrong side of the nut with the putty knife. I will try to edit it so it reads correct, you want it behind the nut farthest away from the boot....
biggest problem will be getting a new nut back inside. But even that should not be too big a problem. KennyV

Truth be told... if it gets into a larger fight I might just replace the stupid little thing! I don't have a replacement nut so if the original gets buggered up and doesn't work then I have yet another issue compounded with fighting to get the old one out and new one in...

I'll see later today if it's just dirt 'marrying' the two together and if the PB blaster allows me to unscrew it. The service guy I spoke to said they did this method on many machines until just a couple years ago so it's possible the dealer might have some of these laying around. I never thought to ask about this spring.

Thought I'd add the end of the story.

Got the throttle cable replaced. I used your method of angle cutters through (between) the coils. I buggered up a coil just a bit, bending it but that's ok.

I got the old nut off and had a fight getting it out...figured why bother? I slid a new nut inside and left the old one to jiggle around inside the coiled spring.

got the rest of the cable attached & fired up.

It's like a new machine. I can't belive all the stiction I had in the old one. I had a habit of sticking my toe under the foot throttle and lifting up to bring things down to an idle. My...oh my.... it's baby smooth now.

This is one of those things, I wish I'd done this 3 years ago!!! Absolute joy to putter around.

I got so ambitious, I've been spending all weekend driving to far side of the farm to dig up some soil and dump it near my house. Until earlier today that is... when I was about halfway home and the machine died.

Seems in his newfound fun, someone forgot to look at the fuel gauge.

:rolleyes:

/ How to replace throttle cable? #9  
Richard
Wonderful, glad it worked out so well AND I am glad you posted the results... A lot of time the post just gets old and disappears without knowing what happened, keep having fun, and doing your own repairs... that is actually a big part of life... keeping things working. KennyV