How to set utility pole with a skid steer?

/ How to set utility pole with a skid steer? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
This weekend I'm renting a auger and I'll be setting a concrete utility pole that I have. The pole is 15' in height and it has a 12"x4' base. The base is definitely heavier than the top. Any suggestions to safely set this pole? I see there are attachments made for this purpose but I only have one pole to do.

/ How to set utility pole with a skid steer? #2  
If I am reading this correctly, your pole is 19' in total length, with the base 12" in diameter and I assume it probably tapers to the top?

If your loader can pick up the total weight of the pole, take a strap and locate the approximate balance point by strapping and lifting at different points until you get close to finding the balance point. Mark this location.

You now need to rig the pole with a sling strap just above the balance point. My "guess" this point will be about 8' from the bottom of the pole. If your loader will lift to 9' high, you should be able to attach your sling strap to your loader with as little distance between the two as possible. The "key" is having more weight below your pick point then above.

Assuming the pole is tapered you might need to cut some (two) wood wedges and tape them tightly to the pole at your lift point. This will help hold the strap at the desired location. Something along a 45 degree angle should work.

Might also want to put some padding on the loader bucket to keep the scratching /marring of the post to a minimum.

I would add a few shovels of gravel to the bottom of the hole. Using a helper to guide the base of the pole, slowly lift and move pole to hole and lower. If your have good control, lifting up and dropping it a few inches will help compact the bottom of the hole. Centering the post in the hole will help to plumb the post.

To plumb the pole, again assuming it's consistently tapered, you will need to make two marks on the pole, approximately 12" apart. Measure the diameter of the pole at each location, subtract lesser from the greater, then divide that number by 2, which equals "x". Take a 12" 2x4, and at one end, measure from the side "x". Rip cut the 2x4 from nothing to your x measurement. This will replicate the taper on the post and allow you to use your level and plumb the pole. Ideally, you would make two of these, and tape them along each end of your level.

Of course, pics would have been nice. I could be way of base. Hope this helps.

/ How to set utility pole with a skid steer? #3  
Use crushed rock like the power company's do instead of concrete. The rock settles around the pole and it is self tightening as the pole moves. Plus there is always drainage so the pole takes a lot longer to rot. Bonus is that rock is cheaper and faster than concrete.

/ How to set utility pole with a skid steer? #4  
Just slide the bucket under the small end of the pole and pick it up so you can drive the loader under the pole. Run a strap around the pole above the bucket and around your bucket and around the pole under the bucket. That way you can pickup the pole and stick the end in the hole without anyone having to guide it by hand. I did a 20' wood pole like that with my subcompact and it worked well.

/ How to set utility pole with a skid steer? #5  
I tie a chain on at the highest point your loader will lift. Then just pick it up and slide it in the hole. 4-23-11 Installing new Meter Pole.jpg
hugs, Brandi

/ How to set utility pole with a skid steer? #6  
I've done a few such projects. Usually I have some sort of extension boom to at least get above the centre of gravity, but I understand you only have one to do. It can be difficult and potentially dangerous. If you are carrying something from the side, as with using a strap or chain, things are often difficult to control when put upright and sometimes you can't tell where forces are being applied. Also, most equipment can't move in all directions and this can be a problem.

/ How to set utility pole with a skid steer? #7  
I've done a few such projects. Usually I have some sort of extension boom to at least get above the centre of gravity, but I understand you only have one to do. It can be difficult and potentially dangerous. If you are carrying something from the side, as with using a strap or chain, things are often difficult to control when put upright and sometimes you can't tell where forces are being applied. Also, most equipment can't move in all directions and this can be a problem.

It helps to have a loader bucket that is wider than the front tires. I just lay the butt at the edge of the hole with the pole beside the tractor. I just lift up and drive forward a little and lower the bucket when the butt goes into the hole.
hugs, Brandi