Hows the Hay Season Going

/ Hows the Hay Season Going #21  
Prices are about the same here ... $6 squares on the low end ... I quess the sellers want it gone quick and then I've seen some adds for $12 Bermuda horse hay. Rounds as low as $35 for Milo and Corn Stalks as hugh as $110 for Bermuda horse rounds. Extremely dry with some areas getting good ample rain ... I suspect come Jan, Feb, March the prices will again soar. I'm sold out on rounds the last 5 semi loads went to Loveland, CO.

I'm irrigating my Bermuda field real heavy right now ... Liquid Nitrogen and weed spray thru the reel ... I'm running a set of 1" with the fertilize and weed spray, then a set of straight 1" water ... I've walked across it and am now going back over with 2" of water about another 75 hrs and then I'm done ... if all goes to plan I will cut some of the best Bermuda around the first week of September.

/ Hows the Hay Season Going #22  
Just finished the second cutting. (Saturday 8/4)
That makes about 200 4'x5' rolls so far, this year, from my 52 acres of hay meadow.
While still not back to "normal" rainfall, it's much better than the past two years.
2010 total hay production was 114 rolls.
2011 total hay production was 26 rolls. :eek:

My problem now is, in my immediate area, EVERYBODY seems to have plenty of hay, so I'm having trouble selling mine. The barn is full and I don't have any more storage room. Maybe I can sell some before it's time to cut again.

/ Hows the Hay Season Going #23  
Its amazing the production rates are so variable there, we're pretty consistent on the ton per acre, its getting the dry weather to remove it at the right time is the problem. This year it has been nice and dry after a wet start, we had all our first cut mid july, which is on-time to slightly late up here. Since I was done I picked up a few extra fields that people gave up this year after the terrible wet year last year.

/ Hows the Hay Season Going #24  
2 nd year in a row 1st cut of early , second cut of pure alfalfa flowering now bad timing as it's come right in the middle of combining so it will have to wait , hope this dry weather continues.