HST fan shielding

/ HST fan shielding #1  

shovelmike

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35 , Mahindra eMax 22, Hustler Super Z
I have seen it mentioned on this forum that there might be need to shield the HST fan when bush hogging. I was a bit surprised how exposed the fan is, and was surprised that it's not better protected.
Has anyone experienced damage to the fan? Has anyone devised a guard from expanded metal or similar material? I am new to compacts, and accustomed to very old solid iron equipment.

/ HST fan shielding #2  
Every SCUT that I have ever seen would be subject to HST fan damage. Some have optional guards. A MMM offers the best protection, but obviously not everyone has one installed all the time.

/ HST fan shielding #3  
What RickB said ........and.....some make their own ..... some are factory available....and some are aftermarket available. If you are in the brush, I'd get one.
Cheers,
Mike

/ HST fan shielding
Thanks, I have no need for a mmm, as I own an excellent ztr mower which does a great job.
I guess I should price a guard at the dealership if I do any bush hogging.

/ HST fan shielding
Thanks for the link Imold.

/ HST fan shielding
My Hustler has a cooler similar to a small radiator with a fan and a guard, and situated where it is not prone to damage. A bit of this type of engineering would have been helpful and more efficient than the little fan down underneath.