HST operation - Low or Medium Range?

/ HST operation - Low or Medium Range? #11  
I think The recommendation I have read in my Kubota manual is to use the range that allows the maximum HST pedal position. This will allow more oil flow and allow cooler transmission operation. I use low for most all operations; mowing,loader,tilling,etc and the cruise control when mowing in open areas

Steve

/ HST operation - Low or Medium Range? #12  
The Kubota guys are taking the easy way out writing that. It's just because doing what they say is easier on the power train and they will be less likely to get a warranty claim. My predecessors were so naive they made it so you couldn't work with our 2 speed hydro unless it was in low (working) range. I got stuck publishing the service bulletin showing the dealer how to defeat the interlock. Hydro failure rate went up due to higher working pressure but axle failures went down due to lower torque output.

/ HST operation - Low or Medium Range? #13  
I brush hog in low range. Less wear and tear on me and my hydro pedal foot. I think the roughness of the ground has more to do with it than anything. I can mow my yard wide open in medium. But my pastures are rough enough that wide open in medium beats me and the tractor to death. I prefer to be comfortable when and not fast when I'm mowing. Twenty years ago I would have preferred to be fast instead of comfortable.

/ HST operation - Low or Medium Range? #14  
I think the RPM is more important here. I have flat ground and use Medium. Keeping the revs up a bit keeps that mower spinning. Also use a chain top link as that allows the mower to go over bumps/hollows. Not like I see some with a solid top link.

/ HST operation - Low or Medium Range? #15  
i shred in low as i do most everything in low because im not in a big hurry to get done.an i adjust the rpms to how thick of stuff im shredding.i usually run at 2000rpms shredding.