HST transmission pump noise

/ HST transmission pump noise #1  

Evets Tsorf

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 750
I purchased an older tractor with gear transmission, not as easy to operate as a hydrostatic but the whine of the hydraulic pump on the hydrostatic units I felt would be an irritant during operation. I do not hear many complaints of that here. My neighbor runs a skid steer below my house often and the and I get tired of the whine. Nobody likes whining neighbors.

/ HST transmission pump noise #2  
If you hear the whine, the engine is running pretty quietly. :)

No going back to gear for me. Some machines much quieter than others. Note that skidsteers usually
run more than one pump, and at a much higher flow than most tractors.

/ HST transmission pump noise #3  
Some are worse than others. My Ford 1210 barely has any whine. The B7500HST was worse, but bearable. My L3200HST is the worst I've experienced. As I mentioned somewhere I could put up with the noise unless I wore a wide-brimmed hat before building the cab. It felt like the brim reflected the noise into my ears. Ear protection has been required with the cab. The L4240HSTC is the best so far. I can operate it for hours without minding the noise.

* DISCLAIMER - Even 30 years ago my kids had to tell me when the truck needed new brakes because I didn't hear the wear indicators screeching:)

/ HST transmission pump noise #4  
the more you stress/load an HST the more it will whine - the hotter it gets usually the more it whines also - i love all of mine and turn up the radio or wear hearing protection ;-)

/ HST transmission pump noise #5  
I REALLY hate the whine too, and I don't think I'll be buying any more tractors with the "whiner tranny" option...

SR

/ HST transmission pump noise #6  
I’ve never noticed the HST whine on a skid steer. The economy series Kubotas whine pretty bad. My L3240 whined none except in road gear. A straight shift tractor is terrible. I’ll drive a straight shift truck any day but anything with a loader and straight shift needs scraped. A good shuttle shift is nice but not very common on smaller tractors. And definitely not less “complicated” than a HST.

/ HST transmission pump noise #7  
for a $45 pair of radio ear muffs I will keep my HST

/ HST transmission pump noise #8  
my SS will bark at me when im stressing it, it has a LARGE hydraulic pump that has three sections and two LARGE drive motor she will let you know if you are working it hard but then again the engine is pretty noisy as well so it masks some of it

/ HST transmission pump noise #9  
my SS will bark at me when im stressing it, it has a LARGE hydraulic pump that has three sections and two LARGE drive motor she will let you know if you are working it hard but then again the engine is pretty noisy as well so it masks some of it

I really wish I had a skid steer with a dry clutch, a straight cut crash box, and split brakes for steering. Said no one ever.