HST Transmission Slow to Respond at Startup

/ HST Transmission Slow to Respond at Startup #1  

splitshot

Tractor
Mahindra 2538 TLB, Kubota B2710, Ford 3000, Case 580D Backhoe, Bobcat 743B
First off, I have searched alot for an answer. I've seen others post similar issues, but no solution.

I just bought a new to me Mahindra 2538 with 400 hours. When you first start the tractor and press the forward or reverse pedal, nothing happens. After about 20 seconds, the transmission will whine and the tractor slowly moves for about 10 seconds. After that, it functions normally until it is turned off. Start it back and the issue is there again.

I have changed the hydraulic fluid with Mahindra fluid and filter and cleaned the sump screen (wasn't real dirty).

Suggestions? TIA

/ HST Transmission Slow to Respond at Startup #2  
Two thoughts - (1) let it warm up first, as there is a noticeable difference in response once it’s warmed up, (2) made sure the hydraulic fluid is full (retract all rams first)

/ HST Transmission Slow to Respond at Startup
Thanks, I have let it run for several minutes to warm up, and worked the loader and backhoe (they respond instantly), and the transmission still is slow to respond.

The tractor came with about a gallon too much of hydraulic fluid in it. I changed fluid and the level is perfect.

/ HST Transmission Slow to Respond at Startup #4  
Did the problem exist before changing the hydraulic filter? On the 2538 power steering circuit the hydraulic filter is the last stop before charging the HST motor. Just thinking out loud, if the new filter is not holding it's oil during shut offs then what you may be seeing is it recharging before the HST motor is getting fluid.

Did the problem exist before changing the hydraulic filter? On the 2538 power steering circuit the hydraulic filter is the last stop before charging the HST motor. Just thinking out loud, if the new filter is not holding it's oil during shut offs then what you may be seeing is it recharging before the HST motor is getting fluid.

Yes, it did it before changing the hydraulic filter. Also, I checked today to see if the brakes were sticking. All the linkage seemed ok.

Update: I ran the backhoe for about an hour today. With the engine still running, I went to pull off it was slow to respond to the pedal again. Errg.

/ HST Transmission Slow to Respond at Startup #7  
Thanks, I have let it run for several minutes to warm up, and worked the loader and backhoe (they respond instantly), and the transmission still is slow to respond.

The tractor came with about a gallon too much of hydraulic fluid in it. I changed fluid and the level is perfect.

Sounds like my Deere. Sort of. My hydro acted like yours and I checked the dipstick and it was only a little low. 1/2 inch on the dipstick. I added a quart and the level didn't seem to change. It took a gallon to move it to the full mark. Even full, the tractor doesn't move much at idle all the time but move the RPMs up to 1800 or so, then it will seem to wake up. Drive it like you stole it.

Sounds like my Deere. Sort of. My hydro acted like yours and I checked the dipstick and it was only a little low. 1/2 inch on the dipstick. I added a quart and the level didn't seem to change. It took a gallon to move it to the full mark. Even full, the tractor doesn't move much at idle all the time but move the RPMs up to 1800 or so, then it will seem to wake up. Drive it like you stole it.
You are right on with the "drive it like you stole it". It does seem to like that approach over easing along!