Buying Advice Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn #11  
Also, I think Snapper and Simplicity might be the same now.

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn
I think the Deere would hold its resale value more than the others, too. I think we may go green instead of red. Cheers!

We agonized and then found a Craftsman CTX9500, 54" deck. I posted a review of first impressions and will add on later. I'm really glad we got the more durable garden tractor, with automatic traction control plus manual differential lock. The Craftsman is a Simplicity/Snapper rebadged as a Craftsman. It's a 2012 and they don't make it this year, probably because the price was so high that it wasn't popular. It was at a Sears Outlet store - and there are some still available in different regions. Not many, but some, including the 48" that are a lot less money. I did call all over to find a Husqvarna GT with manual differential, but couldn't find any unless they ordered in for me. THe Craftsman has a stronger transmission, a Pro engine and heavy deck, with the extra bonus or maybe curse of more hydraulics that will help with heavy attachments, but may be another thing to break! Time will tell! Thanks again to Forum posters that were absolutely right that traction aids would be necessary for safety and efficiency.

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn #14  
Was it priced similar to a Simplicity?

It was $5115 plus tax, and with retailmenot.com coupon, I got a 50% discount on the service plan. The coupon won't work on the tractor, but will on other items bought from searsoutlet.com.
I definitely like the Snapper YT400, but this was less expensive, and included the hydraulic lift of attachments that I think will serve us well. At least there are several machines that really will be good on the hills. I'd lean toward a Snapper or Simplicity (just as this is a retagged Simplicity),for the automatic traction control plus the additional manual locking shift diff. Until I mowed, I didn't realize how much the automatic would help. Snapper and Simplicity are the same mgr, as you said, so whatever dealer is nearby for future service, and what price you pay, to me is the decider. My first impression from Craftsman is that their attachments are less expensive, so overall we'll pay less for more tractor. But, there is some risk with outlet models. This is claimed tobe a floor model with a few scratches, but when I got it home, I noticed some grass in a couple little spots. So, it has met some grass, and has gotten scratched up by a bad driver. It runs, though! That's what matters! Good luck!

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn #16  
I have the GT 48 XLS and a hilly yard, very steep in some areas. I have mowed my acre of grass only one season with this mower, but it is working very well. Cuts grass smoothly and effortlessly, even when I let the lawn go a couple of weeks. I also haul firewood from my other 5 acres, and that is the only place I have needed the differential lock--and it does work great. I have not felt like I need wheel weights. I previously had the largest Craftsman made 20 years ago. Even with 60 pound wheel weights it did not have half the traction of the Husq. Only two minor complaints. It coughs and sputters when starting cold--but it does always start easily--and it runs smoothly after a one minute warm-up. Also, if you overfill the gas tank, it will make it very hard to start and if you overfill the gas tank with the engine running (not recommended) it will stall the engine. I've learned to be careful when filling. I've also read on-line that the bagger does not work well, but I don't need that feature.

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn #17  
The bagger works great. I have the YT48XLS with the bagger. It's a beast of a mowing machine. Essentially mowed a hayfield when I bought my house (without the bagger) and it just kept asking for more. Has the Kawi 24HP engine. It always starts easy but needs some warmup time before engaging the deck.