Hyd driven post auger

/ Hyd driven post auger #1  

madhouse

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
Is my CT230 going to have enough hyd flow to turn a tac-plate mounted post hole auger? I have third function hydraulics on my FEL - I'm curious if anyone out there has tried this.

/ Hyd driven post auger #2  
Is my CT230 going to have enough hyd flow to turn a tac-plate mounted post hole auger? I have third function hydraulics on my FEL - I'm curious if anyone out there has tried this.

Probably not. I quickly checked the specs on the lowest powered bush hog hydraulic auger and it requires 8 to 15 GPM at 3000 psi I’m guessing your CT 230 provides about 2100 psi at a maximum flow of 8.2 GPM. unfortunately you would be on the low side of both pressure and flow for even the smallest hydraulic post hole auger‘s. If u did try it I think u would be sorely disappointed in the performance in any soil.

/ Hyd driven post auger
Well that's not what I wanted to hear!

/ Hyd driven post auger
Just checked with the rental place... Their auger manual states 5-20 gpm and 1500-2500 psi.

Now I'm looking for the data from my tractor...? If I'm reading Tractordata.com TractorData.com Bobcat CT23 tractor information correctly I should get 8.2 gpm but I'm not sure what the pressure is supposed to be.

/ Hyd driven post auger #5  
From another post discussing the ct230, the hydraulic pressure was stated to be 2611 psi at max rpm. So the rental auger may turn slow but depending upon the number of holes you need to drill, that may not be too frustrating. Otherwise rent a three point auger, though I would agree that thee-points are more difficult to position.

/ Hyd driven post auger
I have a 3pt auger. I picked up a bunch of large utility poles. I need 17” holes... my auger is only 12”. I can’t find a bit bigger than 12” to fit the auger.

/ Hyd driven post auger #7  
You could go with a PTO driven hydraulic pump and make it work, but I agree stock is going to be very slow going. I have a 3pt from Tractor supply. Made by speedco. Does an OK job as long as I go slow, other wise shear pins let go. Not a big issue - I just keep a bunch on hand.

Some places also have a walk behind track unit with the larger augers available.
Hope this helps